Common troubleshooting steps
Check that your membership hasn’t expired
Try signing into YouTube Premium again
Make sure that you're signed in to the account associated with your YouTube Premium membership.
- Try signing out and signing back in to the account associated with YouTube Premium.
- Check that you see the YouTube Premium logo (instead of the YouTube logo) in YouTube.
Check YouTube Premium availability in your location
Check your background playback settings
Update your YouTube app
Make sure that you're using the latest version of the YouTube app. Visit your device's app store and check if you have any pending updates for the YouTube app.
If you have a new phone, or you've recently restored your phone, it may include an old version of the YouTube app (e.g., versions below 12.0 are considered outdated).
Check your phone's mobile data settings
Additional steps to try
Verify that no other apps are playing audio
Restart the YouTube app or reboot your device
Check the strength of your internet connection
Check your phone's notification settings
Contact support & submit product feedback
- Please specify whether the sound stops right when you leave the app, or whether it plays for some time but then stops unexpectedly.
- Please specify any error messages you see when you return to the app.
- Please submit in-app feedback.
- You can also submit feedback about your issue. You won't get a response, but your feedback will be shared with YouTube.
- To do this, select your profile photo Feedback in YouTube.
- Make sure to check the box for "System logs." This helps us better understand your issue.