Background play isn't working
Check your background playback settings
Learn how to check your background playback settings.
Check your version of the YouTube app
Make sure that you're using the latest version of the YouTube app. Visit your device's app store and check if you have any pending updates for the Youtube app.
If you have a new phone, or you've recently restored your phone, it may include an old version of the YouTube app (e.g., versions below 12.0 are considered very outdated).
Check YouTube Premium availability
Check your membership status
Restart the YouTube app or reboot your device
Check your notifications
Contact support & submit product feedback
- Please specify whether the sound stops right when you leave the app, or whether it plays for some time but then stops unexpectedly.
- Please specify any error messages you see when you return to the app.
- Please submit in-app feedback.
- You can also submit feedback about your issue. You won't get a response, but your feedback will be shared with YouTube.
- To do this, select your profile photo > Feedback in YouTube.
- Make sure to check the box for "System logs." This helps us better understand your issue.