Your content & Restricted Mode
Restricted Mode is an optional setting that has been available since 2010, and is used by a small subset of users, such as libraries, schools, and public institutions, who choose to have a more limited viewing experience on YouTube. Restricted Mode is turned off for viewers by default. Learn how to turn Restricted Mode on or off.
What does Restricted Mode do?
How does Restricted Mode work?
Restricted Mode was created to provide viewers who wanted to better control the content they see on YouTube with an option to choose an intentionally limited YouTube experience.
Viewers can choose to turn Restricted Mode on
for their personal accounts. It may also be turned on for computers in libraries, schools, and other public institutions by the institution's system administrator. Viewers who turn on Restricted Mode cannot see comments on videos.
Will my content show if my viewers have Restricted Mode turned on?
There are two ways a video can end up being unavailable when Restricted Mode is turned on.
- Primarily, our automated system looks at signals like the video’s metadata, title, and the language used in the video.
- Additionally, some videos may not be available in Restricted Mode as a result of human reviewers applying an age-restriction to a video.
We understand that our automated system isn’t perfect and it sometimes makes mistakes when assessing which videos to make available in Restricted Mode. We're always looking to improve our automated systems.
Is Restricted Mode the same as age-gating or age-restricting videos?
Videos containing potentially mature content will not be shown to viewers who have Restricted Mode turned on.
Here are some guidelines to consider if you want your video to appear in Restricted Mode:
- Drugs and alcohol: If you’re talking about drug use or abuse, or if you’re drinking alcohol in your videos, your videos will likely not be available in Restricted Mode.
- Sex: While some educational, straightforward conversations about sexual education may be included in Restricted Mode, overly detailed conversations about sex or sexual activity will likely be removed. This is one of the more difficult topics to train our systems on, and context is key. If your music video features adult themes like sex or drug use, that video will likely not make it into Restricted Mode.
- Violence: If your video includes graphic descriptions of violence, violent acts, natural disasters and tragedies, or even violence in the news, it will likely not appear in Restricted Mode.
- Mature subjects: Videos that cover specific details about events related to terrorism, war, crime, and political conflicts that resulted in death or serious injury may not be available on Restricted Mode, even if no graphic imagery is shown.
- Profane and mature language: Inappropriate language, including profanity, will also likely result in your video not being available in Restricted Mode.
Even if your subscriber has Restricted Mode turned on, they will continue to see all content from your channel in their Subscriptions feed.
How do I check to see if my videos are being filtered by Restricted Mode?
No, a video that is not available in Restricted Mode is not necessarily age-restricted.
Age-restricted content may not be appropriate for all audiences, and is not visible to users who are logged out, are under 18 years of age, or have Restricted Mode enabled. Learn more about age-restricted content
Is my video filtered in Restricted Mode if it's flagged as inappropriate by the community?
You won't be notified if your video isn't available in Restricted Mode. To check, you can turn on Restricted Mode
and search to see if the videos appears or go directly to the video's URL to see if it's viewable.
Does Restricted Mode affect monetization for my videos?
Flagged videos are reviewed by our team for violations of our Community Guidelines. Some videos don't violate our policies, but may not be appropriate for all audiences. In these cases, our review team may place an age restriction on the video. Videos that are age-restricted will not appear for users that have Restricted Mode turned on.
My videos are being filtered by Restricted Mode. How do I stop this?
You can still monetize videos
even if they may not be available when Restricted Mode is on.
While we don’t have an appeals process, keep in mind that if you edit the video
, it'll automatically be reviewed again by our system.
Restricted Mode feedback