Profile for Artists
Just like your music and videos, your Profile is an extension of your creative expression. We want both potential and existing fans to be able to see who you are when they’re engaging with your work across YouTube’s ecosystem.
Update your Profile
On YouTube, your images may be used on YouTube search, YouTube Charts, the YouTube Music app, playlists, and banners. You can update your Profile any time.
You will be asked to upload the same image twice. One of the images will be used on YouTube, while the other will be used in the YouTube Music app.
- Go to studio.youtube.com
- On the left, click Profile
- Enter your name and bio using our bio guidelines.
- Pick a high-quality photo using our image guidelines.
- Using the pencil icon, add a square profile photo and a rectangular profile photo.
Profile bio guidelines
Your bio may be used on YouTube search, your channel, and the YouTube Music App. You can update your Profile any time.
To update your bio, select anywhere in the Biography box, enter your bio, and select Save Bio. Be sure to follow these guidelines:
- Keep it under 1500 Characters. After ~150 characters, YouTube Music truncates and puts the remaining bio behind a “More” link.
- Make sure the content meets our Community Guidelines.
- Keep your bio up to date. Promoting an upcoming album or new release in your bio may go out of date quickly.
- Shape and orientation: Images should be rectangular and in landscape mode
- Size: Images must be at least 5120 x 2880 pixels.
- Resolution: Images must be at least 150 dpi.
- Format: You can only upload JPG or PNG format images.
- White space: Your image will be cropped into a square and a circle, so make sure you have enough space around the edges of your image.
- Image content: You must show your face or faces in the profile image - please do not use text or album art.
- Community Guidelines: Ensure your image meets YouTube’s Community Guidelines.
See examples of how Profile photos may be cropped in the image examples section below.
Here are examples of best practices to follow when uploading images to Profile.
Solo artists should show their head and shoulders, not the entire body:
Groups need extra space so people don’t get auto-cropped: