Manage YouTube notifications
Get updates from specific channels
When you subscribe to a channel, you'll automatically get notifications with highlights of its activity and see all new videos in your Subscriptions feed. You can change your notification settings to let you know every time a channel publishes content or turn them off completely.
Get updates from a channel when you subscribe to it:
- Go to the channel page or watch page.
- If you're not subscribed, click Subscribe. When you subscribe to a channel, you’ll automatically get occasional notifications.
- Click the bell icon to switch between receiving “All notifications” and “Occasional notifications.”
- All notifications - You’ll receive notifications for all uploads and live streams.
- Occasional notifications - You’ll receive notifications for some uploads and live streams. The definition of 'occasional' differs by user. YouTube uses signals such as your watch history, how frequently you watch videos from the channel, how popular certain videos are, and how often you open notifications to decide when to send you a notification.
If you unsubscribe and then re-subscribe to a channel, your notification settings will be reset. If you'd like to receive a notification for every upload, make sure to turn on all notifications.
Check your notifications
- Open YouTube on any browser.
- At the top of the page, click the bell icon to check notifications.
- Select the notification you're interested in to view the video or comment.
- Next to the notification, click Menu .
- Select Hide this notification, Mute <channel name>, or Turn off [type of notification] updates.
Select type of notifications you want to receive
You can control what kind of notifications you get from YouTube and how you receive them.
- Sign in to Youtube.
- Go to your notifications settings.
- Under different sections on the page, select the notifications you would like to receive:
- Email updates: To receive or not receive updates with tips and trending videos, check or uncheck the boxes.
- Channel subscriptions: To receive or not receive updates from channels you subscribe to or channels you may be interested in, check or uncheck the box.
- Notify me via: Use the drop-down menu to choose how you want to receive subscription notifications (mobile or email).
You can also change your email preferences for comments and replies at the bottom of the Notifications page.
Manage Google Chrome notifications
You can choose to get YouTube notifications when using Google Chrome browser. When you turn them on, you'll get pop-up notifications in your browser with updates from channels you subscribe to.
- Sign in to YouTube.
- Go to your notifications settings.
- Under “Desktop notifications," click the button next to Chrome to turn notifications on or off.
If you don't see the "Desktop notifications" option, your Chrome browser notifications may be blocked. Unblock notifications with the instructions below.
- Click the padlock icon in the search bar of Chrome.
- Go to "Notifications" under the "Permissions" section.
- Click the drop-down menu, and select Always allow on this site.
Difference between Notifications and Subscriptions Feed
Subscriptions feed, available on both mobile and desktop, is where you can see all recently uploaded videos from your subscriptions.
Notifications let you know when there are new videos and updates from your subscriptions via email or push notifications on mobile. When you subscribe to a channel, you’ll automatically get occasional notifications with highlights of activity.
To get all notifications from a subscribed channel, tap the bell icon . Your icon will change to a ringing bell icon to indicate that you've selected all notifications.