Phishing is when someone is tricked into giving up their personal info, like credit card numbers or other financial data. When someone has that info, they'll usually use it to steal your money, property, or identity.
Remember, YouTube will never ask you for your password, email address, or other account info. Don't be fooled if someone contacts you pretending to be from YouTube.
If you find videos on YouTube that you think might be spam or phishing, report them for review by the YouTube team. To learn more about spam and phishing, visit the National Cyber Security Alliance.
If you're concerned that your Google Account may have been compromised, learn how to secure a hacked or compromised Google Account.
Remember that it's up to you to keep your password secure. NEVER share your password with others.
Keep your account safeWe’ve created an easy-to-use checklist to help you secure your computer, browser, Gmail, and Google Account. We encourage you to go through the entire checklist, but want to highlight the following steps that can help you keep your YouTube channel secure.
- Add a recovery phone number and secondary secure email to your Google Account. Without both a phone number and secure email, someone can get into your account by knowing or guessing your security question. You can update security info here.
- Keep your recovery info secure and up-to-date.
- Create a unique, strong password for your Google Account (and don’t use the same sign-in and password for other sites). Here are some tips to help you create a strong password:
- Your password should be at least eight characters in length, combine numbers and letters, and not include commonly used words.
- Select a word or acronym and insert numbers between some of the letters.
- Include punctuation marks.
- Mix capital and lowercase letters.
- Don't reuse passwords associated with any other type of account.
- If your account has been set up for a company or organization, update your password and recovery info when someone leaves your company.
If you feel your account has been compromised, you can report it here.
Learn how to avoid and report Google scams.
Google Safety Center
Understand your data on Google and on the web. Read some advice and tips for controlling your data and staying secure online.
Google Digital Citizenship Curriculum
The Google Digital Citizenship Curriculum is an interactive and user-friendly curriculum aimed at teachers and secondary schools students. In a few short lessons, learn about privacy, policy, and how to be a responsible cyber citizen.
Google Family Safety Center
The Google Family Safety Center has tips and advice to keep your family safe online.