Enabling live chat
- Live chat is enabled by default and will appear to the right of the video player only when your event is active.
- Live chat badges will identify the Streamer and Moderator . Click on the expandable area below for more information on moderators.
- Live chat module only exists on the YouTube watch pages. It does not follow embedded players.
- Review chat activity in YouTube Analytics. The "Comments" metric is for live and on demand.
- Viewers are limited to 200 characters and a maximum of 3 submissions every 30 seconds. Event owners are not subject to the frequency threshold.
- Viewers cannot post special characters, URLs or HTML tags.
- Live Chat will no longer be available after the event has ended.
- Post-live comments will appear below the player after the stream ends.
Disabling live chat
- Using Stream Now? Select the gear icon and uncheck the Enable live chat box.
- Using Events? Navigate to Edit> Basic Info> Advanced Settings. Under Chat, uncheck the Enable live chat box.
- You can disable live chat at any time, even after the event has started.
Additional Live Chat features
- Popout live chat in a new window for easy moderation.
- See a list of active chat users from the last 5 minutes.
Live chat moderation
We strongly recommend that you have at least one dedicated live chat moderator for high-traffic events. Moderators can interact with the audience and remove comments when appropriate. They can also flag, block or put users in time out.
- Click the next to username in chat and select "Set User as Moderator".
- Click the three dots (...) next to the chat text box and enter a username.
- Set up one list of moderators for your channel. Moderators remain on the list until they are unassigned.
Manage spam messages
- Select the "Automatically block spam messages." checkbox. This will block simple spam such as long messages in all caps or repeated identical messages by the same user.
Blacklist words proactively
- Compile blacklisted words in the Community Settings section. Live chats matching these words will be blocked.
Unblock a viewer from live chat
- To remove block status, visit the viewers YouTube channel and click on the "About" tab.
- Click on the flag and select the "unblock" option.