About Google ads
As you browse the internet, use mobile apps, read your email or shop online, you see ads. Google shows ads on Google products like Search, YouTube and Gmail. Google's ad network also shows ads on 2+ million non-Google websites and apps. It is one of many ad networks that can personalise ads based on your online activity.
In this article
- Control Google ad personalisation
- Google and advertising standards
- Leave feedback on the ad or website that you just saw
Ads that Google shows can be personalised based on many factors, like the types of websites you visit or mobile apps you've installed. If ad personalisation is off, ads may still use non-personal data, such as your general location or the topics on the website or app you're looking at.
Where personalisation comes from
- The types of website that you visit and the mobile apps that you have on your device
- Cookies on your browser and the settings in your Google Account
- Websites and apps that you’ve visited that belong to businesses that advertise with Google
- Your activity on another device
- Your previous interactions with Google’s ads or advertising services
- Your Google Account activity and information
You can control how Google personalises Google ads, or turn off personalisation of Google ads, at Ad Settings.
When showing you personalised ads, Google will not associate an identifier from cookies or similar technologies with sensitive categories, such as those based on race, religion, sexual orientation or health.
Google never sells your personal information to anyone. Learn more about privacy
Ads can be personalised based on the device you're using. You can turn off this ad personalisation through your device's settings. These settings apply to apps that use your mobile device’s advertising identifier.
- Open the Google Settings app on your device (called Google Settings or Settings, depending on your device).
- Scroll down and tap Google.
- Tap Ads.
- Turn on Opt out of interest-based ads or Opt out of Ads Personalisation.
Google's ad network is one of over 100 online ad networks that show you ads on sites and apps. Google participates in industry groups, like the Digital Advertising Alliance and the Network Advertising Initiative, that develop and follow standards in online advertising. Where required (for example, the DAA and the NAI), Google adheres to those groups' codes of conduct and/or self-regulatory principles.
You may have noticed the AdChoices icon , which appears on ads shown by any ad network participating in the Digital Advertising Alliance. Industry groups vary by location.
|Australian Digital Advertising Alliance||Australia|
|Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA)||United States|
|Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada||Canada|
|European Digital Advertising Alliance||Europe|
|Network Advertising Initiative||United States|