Moderate & review comments
When comments are turned on for your videos, you can use our tools to moderate the conversation. Learn how to turn comments on.
Comments are not available on private videos. If you want to allow comments on a video that's not publicly available, post an unlisted video instead.
Remove, report, or hide comments
When someone comments on your video, you'll get a notification. Click the menu icon in the top right of the comment to manage comments:
- Remove: Take down the comment and replies from YouTube.
- Report spam or abuse: Report comments that you believe are spam or abuse to the YouTube team.
- Hide from channel: Block the user from posting comments on videos on your channel. If you change your mind, you can remove the user from the hidden users list in your community settings.
Add hearts to favorite comments
You can use a heart to show appreciation for a viewer's comments from Creator Studio, on a watch page, on a channel, and in the Community tab comments.
- Sign in to your channel at www.youtube.com.
- At the top of the page, click your account icon .
- Click Creator Studio.
- Go to Community, then click Comments.
- In the "Published Comments" section, go to the comment you'd like to favorite and click the heart .
- After clicking on a heart, you'll see your channel icon with a heart next to the thumbs up / thumbs down icons.
Watch page, channel, and the Community tab
- Sign in to your channel at www.youtube.com.
- Navigate to a video on your channel.
- Look for the heart next to the thumbs up / thumbs down icons.
- After clicking on a heart, you'll see a "comment loved" confirmation message.
Viewers will see your avatar with a small red heart on and receive a notification (depending on viewer opt-in settings on desktop and mobile) that a channel owner "loves your comment."
Hold & review comments for approvalHold all comments for approval
You can require that all new comments get approved before they're posted to your video or channel.
- Find the video in the Video Manager.
- Under the video, click Edit.
- Click Advanced Settings.
- Under "Allow comments," select Approved.
This setting only applies to new comments and will not apply to comments currently on your channel.
Hold comments with links for review
You can hold comments that include links for review.
- Go to your Creator Studio.
- Go to your channel's Community settings by selecting Community > Community settings in the left menu.
- Go to Links and check the box to automatically hold new comments with links for review.
You can hold potentially inappropriate comments, as identified by an algorithm, for your review. This can make it easier for you to moderate comments and control the tone of your channel. This feature is available globally and works on comments in the following the languages: English, Spanish, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, French, Arabic, German, Japanese, Turkish, and Vietnamese.
If you choose to opt in, comments will appear in your "Held For Review" queue. You have the final decision whether to approve, hide, or report these comments, and you can always add words and filters to capture more comments.
The algorithms that power the “Hold for review” feature will not always be accurate. This feature is intended to capture the majority of potentially offensive comments, but it is possible that some potentially offensive comments may not be filtered. As you review comments that are held, the system will take that feedback into account and, over time, get better at identifying the types of comments to hold for review.
Note: Previously posted comments will not be affected by the hold for review feature; hold for review will apply only to new comments.
Enable “Hold for review” on existing video’s comments
- Sign in to YouTube.
- Go to your video and select the “Advanced Settings” tab.
- Under the "Allow comments" section, select All except potentially inappropriate comments from the drop-down menu.
Enable on new video and channel comments
- Sign in to your YouTube account.
- Click on your account icon > Creator Studio.
- In the menu, select Community > Community Settings.
- Scroll down to the "Default Settings" section.
- For videos and/or channels, select Hold potentially inappropriate comments for review.
If someone leaves a comment that looks like spam, you can review, approve, or delete it.
- Go to Creator Studio.
- Go to your comments by selecting Community > Comments from the left menu.
- Click the Likely spam tab.
- Go to your channel's Comments tab by selecting Community > Comments in the left menu.
- Select the Held for review tab.
- You'll see a list of all held comments with a "Automatically held" tag.
- You can approve, hide, or report each comment.
As you review the held comments, the feature will take that feedback into account and get better at identifying the types of comments you want to review. Over time, this feature will reduce the amount of work needed to monitor your community comments.
You can manage comments for multiple videos at one time.
- Sign in to YouTube on a computer.
- Go to Creator Studio > Video Manager.
- Select the box next to any of the videos you want to manage.
- At the top of the screen, click the Actions menu.
- Select More actions > Comments.
- Choose from the following options:
- Allow all comments
- Hold potentially inappropriate comments for review
- Allow only approved comments
- Do not allow comments
Invite a comment moderator
You can invite other YouTube users who have channels to moderate your comments. Learn more how to add a comment moderator to your channel.