Select and share a small portion (clip) of a video or live stream with others by clipping it. Clips can be shared on social channels or via direct communications (for example, email or text).
Note: Clipping videos is turned on by default. Learn how to turn it off.
Create and share a clip
Clips are between 5-60 seconds long and are played on a loop from the original video’s watch page.
- Sign in to YouTube. You need to be signed in to create a clip.
- Start watching a video.
- Under the video, click the Clip . If you don't see this, the video isn't eligible for clips.
- A create clip box will show up.
- Select the section of the video you’d like to clip. You can increase (maximum of 60 seconds) or decrease (minimum of 5 seconds) the length of your selection by dragging the slider.
- Give the clip a title (max 140 characters).
- Click SHARE CLIP.
- Choose an option for sharing the clip:
- Social networks: Click a social network icon (for example, Facebook or Twitter) to share the video there.
- Embed: Click the Embed button to generate a code you can use to embed the video in a website.
- Email: Choose the email icon to send an email using the default email software on your computer.
- Copy the link: Click the COPY button to copy a link to the video that you can paste somewhere else, like in an email message.
Creators can prevent others from making and sharing clips of their videos on YouTube. Here’s how:
- Sign in to YouTube.
- Go to studio.youtube.com.
- From the left, click Settings.
- Click Channel.
- Click Advanced Settings, and under “Clips,” check Don’t allow viewers to clip my content.
Learn more about Clips
I don't see how to create Clips on YouTube.
To make clips from a video or live stream on YouTube, you must:
- Be signed in.
- Create a clip from an eligible and opted-in channel. Currently, we’re testing this feature with a small number of channels. We hope to expand this feature to more channels in the future. A channel may also turn off clip creation on their content.
Clips can’t be made from:
- Videos made for kids
- Live streams without DVR
- Live streams over 8 hours long
- Premieres while they’re still live
Why are the Clips I created no longer available?
If the original video violates our Community Guidelines, Clips created from that video will be removed.
I created a clip from a live stream that's not working.
Why are there ads on the clip I created?