YouTube Shorts is a way for anyone to turn an idea into a chance to connect with new audiences anywhere in the world. All you need is a smartphone and the Shorts camera built right in the YouTube app.
The latest Shorts creation tools make it fast, fun, and easy to be a creator on YouTube.
Creating a Short with YouTube’s short-form video creation tools allows you to record one or more clips that add up to 60 seconds. While recording with the Shorts camera, use the progress bar at the top of your screen to see how many segments you’ve recorded, and the length of each.
To create a short video on YouTube:
- Sign in to the YouTube app.
- Tap create Create a Short.
- To make your Short longer than 15 seconds, tap 15 above the record button to record up to 60 seconds (60).
Note: Recording with music from our library or the original audio from other videos is limited to 15 seconds.
- To record a clip, hold the capture button or tap it to start recording and then again to stop.
- Tap undo to remove the previous video clip you recorded or tap redo to add it back.
- Tap close choose to Start over or to Save as draft and exit the camera.
- Tap done to preview and enhance your video.
- Tap back to return to the record screen. You can also tap back after you’ve made edits to Discard edits or to Save as draft and exit the editor. Saving a draft at this point saves any edits you've made.
- Tap NEXT to add details to your video. From this screen, add a title (max 100 characters), and choose settings, like video privacy.
Note: The default video privacy setting for creators aged 13–17 is private. If you’re 18 or older, your default video privacy setting is set to public. Everyone can change this setting to make their video public, private, or unlisted.
- Tap Select audience “Yes, it’s made for kids" or "No, it’s not made for kids" to choose your audience. Learn more about made for kids.
- Tap UPLOAD to publish your Short.
Accompany your Shorts with a song or other audio clip. The music and sounds found in our library are free of charge to use, but only for personal, non-commercial use, unless you have the appropriate licenses.
To find our Audio Library when you’re ready to record, tap Add sound. Make your selection and then record up to 15 seconds.
Tap Speed to speed up or slow down recording.
Tap Timer to set the countdown to record hands-free and choose when to automatically stop recording.
Tap Filters to pick from a selection of creative and contrasting filters that let you change the vibe of your Short.
Add different filters to each segment as you record, or apply them in the editing screen after you record. We’ll continue to bring more filters and effects over the coming year.
Tap Align to line up your next clip using a transparent overlay of the last frame you captured.
Add text & sound after you recordAdd sound
To add a song or other sound bite after you record, tap Sound. Make your selection and then record up to 15 seconds.
Use Volume to control the balance between the original audio track and the other sound.
Tap Text to put text on your video after you record. Place multiple messages over your video and change the color, style, and alignment on the screen.
You can also use Timeline for even more control.
Tap Timeline to edit when text is shown in your Short.
Drag the start and stop points of a text clip to control when text shows in your Short and when it disappears. Use this feature to trigger different messages at different times in your video.
To reorder text clips, tap and hold them. Move clips from top to bottom to control the front to back order your text is shown.
You can upload short videos you created without YouTube’s short-video creation tools.
To upload a Short from your device:
- Tap Create Upload a video.
- Select a video with a square or vertical aspect ratio:
- Videos up to 60 seconds will show a trim editor. Drag the sides of the bar to change the video’s start and end times. Anything not in the box won't show in the Short.
- For videos longer than 60 seconds, tap Edit into a Short to trim your video to 60 seconds or less.
- Tap NEXT to go to the editor screen where you can add text, filters, music, or other audio to your Short.
Note: Audio picked from our library is limited to 15-second clips.
- Tap NEXT to add details to your video, such as a title (max 100 characters) and the privacy settings.Note: The default video privacy setting for creators aged 13–17 is private. If you’re 18 or older, your default video privacy setting is set to public. Everyone can change this setting to make their video public, private, or unlisted.
- Tap “Select audience” and select “Yes, it’s made for kids" or "No, it’s not made for kids" to choose your audience. Learn more about made for kids.
- Tap UPLOAD to publish your Short.
|Looking for more tips to get started with Shorts?
Download our Shorts Getting Started Guide.