Google app settings
You can change your settings for the Google app, including settings for voice search, history, SafeSearch, and notifications. Some search settings aren't available on all devices.
Settings you can changeAndroid
- Google Account: Choose the Google Account you want to use.
- Google Account History: View or delete history that's saved to your Google Account, including things you search for, your voice searches and commands, and places you go.
- SafeSearch filter: Filter explicit content from your search results.
- Commute sharing: Share your commute with your Google+ connections.
- Accessibility: Turn on high-contrast text.
- Help improve Google: If you have the Google Now Launcher, you can choose to send Google information to help improve the experience.
Choose the language you want to see your search results in. Voice search results will be in the same language that you used to do your voice search.
Change the settings that control voice search and voice actions.
- Languages: Voice search results will be in the same language that you used to do your voice search.
- Speech output: Hear spoken responses to some of your searches.
- "Ok Google" detection: Choose which screens you can say “Ok Google” from to start a voice search.
- Offline speech recognition: Download more languages for speech recognition to use when you’re not online.
- Block offensive words: Offensive words that you search for will be replaced in the search box with asterisks *.
- Bluetooth headset: Use your voice over a Bluetooth headset when one is connected.
To show app information in your search suggestions, check one or more of the boxes. For example, if you check the box next to your Contacts app, when you start typing a search for your mom’s name, her contact information may show in search suggestions.
- Show cards: Turn Google Now cards on or off for your Google Account.
- Manage card history: View or delete your Google Now history, which includes which cards were shown to you and if you interacted with them.
- Delete card preferences: This will turn off any customizations you've created (like your favorite sports teams) and will also turn off Google Now cards on all of your devices.
- Show notifications for card updates: Turn this setting on to get notifications for Google Now cards like traffic delays or changes in your flight's departure time. If you turn on notifications, you can choose if you also want to hear a ringtone or vibration when you get your notification.
- Turn Google Now on or off.
- Change Google Now settings like notifications, which cards show up, and your home and work address.
Learn more about Google Now settings.
Create a reminder or see reminders you’ve already created.
Learn more about reminders.
Change the settings that are used anytime you search or complete an action using your voice.
- Spoken answers: Choose whether or not answers are spoken back to you when you do a search.
- Bluetooth: If this setting is on, you can do voice searches or actions using a Bluetooth headset when one is connected.
- "Ok Google" hotword: Decide if saying "Ok Google" will trigger a voice search from anywhere in the app. The "Ok Google" setting is only available on iPhone 4s+ and iPad 2+ devices.
- Language: The language you choose here applies to any voice searches you do. If you want, this can be different from the display language on your device.
Block most adult content from your search results by using a Smart or Strict SafeSearch setting.
- Smart: Prevents adult images from showing in your results unless you search for them on purpose.
- Strict: Prevents adult images and video from showing in all results.
- Feedback: Share any issues you’re having, or let us know what you like about the app.
- Shake to send feedback: When this setting is on, shake your phone to start a feedback report from anywhere in the app.
- On-device history: When this setting is on, searches you do while using the Google Search app will be saved in your history on the device you're using. On-device history is separate from Search History.
- Clear on-device history: Delete any searches done on the Google Search app for the device you’re using. This won’t clear searches you’ve done on other devices or computers.
- Clear third party cookies: Delete your cookies for the Google Search app on the device you're using. This won’t clear cookies on other apps or mobile browsers, like Chrome or Safari.
Learn how to manage location settings for Google Now.
Choose if you want to open links to maps in Google Maps.
Get to the settings menuAndroid
- Open the Google app .
- In the top left corner of the page, touch the Menu icon > Settings.
- Choose the category of settings you want to change, like Voice or Now cards.
- Open the Google app .
- In the top left corner of the home screen, touch the gear icon . (If you’re looking at Google Now cards, scroll down to get back to the home screen.)