Change your Google app settings
You can change your settings for the Google app, including settings for voice search, past searches, SafeSearch, and notifications. Available settings can vary by device and app version.
Open the settings menu
- Open the Google app .
- Tap More Settings Search .
- Search for a setting.
Settings you can change
Turn on these features to:
- Recent pages: Keep track of pages recently visited so you can quickly find them again.
- Signed-out search customization: Let Google offer you more relevant recommendations and results based on your searches when you're signed out.
- Personal results: Get search results from your Google products.
- Discover: Get stories related to your interests in the Google app.
- Data Saver: Not let some features, like Discover, refresh as often to help you save data.
- Autocomplete with trending searches: Get search results faster with local or current searches.
- SafeSearch: Filter explicit content from your search results. Learn more about SafeSearch.
- Always retry offline searches: Start a search while you're not connected to the internet. When you're connected again, Google will get the results and notify you.
- Open web pages in the app: Stay in the Google app when you open a search result or story from the feed.
- Autoplay video previews: Play videos automatically without sound.
- Nicknames: Add nicknames to your contacts to easily find them when you search.
- Edit & share screenshots: Edit and share screenshots without leaving the Google App.
- Show notifications: To turn off or on all notifications, tap Show notifications.
- Assistant: Turn off or on Assistant notifications, like proactive or recommendations.
- Other: Turn off or on notifications like commute alerts, reminders, weather updates, and more.
- Personal info: Set your places, payment methods, and weather preferences. Tap Reservations to see restaurant, flight, and other reservations from your Google Account.
- Assistant: Set your language preference, routines, and email updates.
- Services: Connect your TV, speaker, or streaming service to your Google Assistant.
- Home: Connect your Google Home.
Change the settings that control voice search and voice actions.
- Languages: Voice search results come in the same language as your voice search.
- Spoken results: You can decide if you want to hear spoken responses to some of your searches or all voice searches.
- Offline speech recognition: Download more languages to use when you’re not connected to the internet.
- Hide offensive words: You can hide offensive words that you search for and Google will replace them in the search box with asterisks (*).
- Voice match: Pick on which screens you can say "Ok Google." Learn more about Ok Google.
- Voice search on Bluetooth devices: Use voice search when you have a Bluetooth headset connected.
- Bluetooth headset: Use your voice over a Bluetooth headset when one is connected.
- Search language: Pick the language for your search results. This setting lets you pick more languages to see search results in.
- Search region: When you search on Google, your results are customized to your current region. You can choose to see results for other countries.
If you turn off location, your search results might be less relevant and some features won't work.
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google app .
- Tap More .
- At the top left, tap your profile Manage your Google Account.
- Tap Data & personalization Location history.
- Turn off Location history.
Learn how to change your Google app location settings on your device.