You can change your search settings for the Google Search app for Android, including settings for voice search, SafeSearch, web history, and notifications. These settings may be different depending on your device.
Change your search settings
- Open the Google Search app on your Android device.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and touch Menu > Settings.
Settings you can changeGoogle Now
Turn Google Now on or off for your Google Account.
"Google Now is turned off for your domain." If you see this message, you’re using Google Apps for Business and your system administrator has turned off Google Now for your organization. Before you can turn it on, your administrator needs to turn it on for your domain.
Choose which apps on your device appear in your search results, including Google Play Books, Play Music, and your Contacts.
Check the box next to any apps that you want to be searchable.
Change the settings that control voice search and voice commands.
- Language. The language you choose here applies to any voice searches you do. If you want, this can be different from the display language on your device.
- Speech output. When Speech output is On, you may hear spoken responses to some of your searches. If you select Hands-free only, you’ll only hear spoken responses when you have headphones attached to your device.
- Hotword detection. If this setting is on, say “Ok Google” to start a voice search from anywhere in the app.
- Offline speech recognition. Download more languages for speech recognition to use when you’re not not online.
- Google Account dashboard. Touch this button to manage the data for your Google Account.
- Bluetooth headset. If this setting is on, you can perform voice searches or actions using a Bluetooth headset if one is connected.
You’re in control of your account and what information you share with Google. Touch Accounts & privacy to change settings like location, commute sharing, and search history.
- Google Account. If you want to use a different Google Account for search and Google Now, touch Google Account to sign out or choose to sign in to another account.
- Commute sharing. Choose to share your commute with your Google+ connections.
- Google location settings. Choose which apps can access your location, and choose whether or not to report your location to Google.
- Web History. Turn Web History on to use features like Google Now and get improved predictions as you search.
- Manage Web History. Touch Manage Web History to see your past searches and sites you’ve visited, delete past searches, and turn Web History on or off.
- Personal results. When Personal results is turned on, you’ll see private search results from Google products like Google Calendar, Gmail, and Google+.
- SafeSearch filter. Filter explicit content from your search results by turning SafeSearch on.
- Contact recognition. If this setting is turned on, you’ll improve voice searches and actions that include names of people in your contact list.
- Search engine storage. Clear space used for search by apps like Gmail and Chrome.
Choose whether or not you get updates, like reminders that you’ve created, from Google Now.