You can use symbols or words in your search to make your search results more precise.
- Google Search usually ignores punctuation that isn’t part of a search operator.
- Don’t put spaces between the symbol or word and your search term. A search for
site:nytimes.comwill work, but
Refine image searches
Overall Advanced Search
- Go to Advanced Image Search.
- Use filters like region or file type to narrow your results.
- At the bottom, click Advanced Search.
Search for an exact image size
Right after the word you're looking for, add the text
imagesize:widthxheight. Make sure to add the dimensions in pixels.
Common search techniques
Search social media
@ in front of a word to search social media. For example:
Search for a price
$ in front of a number. For example:
# in front of a word. For example:
Exclude words from your search
- in front of a word you want to leave out. For example,
jaguar speed -car
Search for an exact match
Put a word or phrase inside quotes. For example,
Search within a range of numbers
.. between two numbers. For example,
OR" between each search query. For example,
marathon OR race.
Search for a specific site
site:" in front of a site or domain. For example,
Search for related sites
related:" in front of a web address you already know. For example,
See Google’s cached version of a site
cache:" in front of the site address.
Important: Not all search operators return exhaustive results.