When you download the Google Maps app from the Play Store, you can use navigation, find local destinations or your location, and get other useful info on your watch.
This only applies to Wear 3 and some features may be different depending on your smartwatch's version. Learn how to check your watch's version.
- To use navigation, you must allow location tracking on your phone and smartwatch.
- Power-saving mode can interfere with Maps.
- Some voice actions aren’t available in all languages and countries or regions.
- Maps on your Wear device uses the distance unit that is on your paired phone.
Explore the map
You can also use Maps to learn more about the areas nearby.
Get directions on your watch
Important: These steps only apply to Wear 3. For watches with Wear 2, you can only use turn-by-turn directions in the Google Maps app on the paired phone.
To get directions on your watch, you can start navigation on your watch or on your paired phone. The route appears on your phone, and as you go, you get directions for every turn on your watch. Maps currently supports navigation for cycling, driving, and walking.
Tip: When you allow location on your phone, navigation works on your watch even when your phone is locked. Learn how to allow location on your phone.
Search for locations
- If you can't see your watch screen, wake up the watch.
- Swipe up to find your apps and open the Maps app.
- To select from your home, work, or recent locations, tap Search.
Get directions with your voice
- To start the Google Assistant, say “Hey Google” or press and hold the Power button.
- You can also tap the microphone or the keyboard to search for something new.
- Say something like “Navigate to a coffee shop nearby.” A Google Maps card shows up on your watch.
Tip: If you don't find the destination you want, you might need to choose a more specific one.
After you start navigation, you can:
- Find your ETA and the current time.
- Find the next three directions.
- Cancel your trip: To stop directions and go back to the home screen, on your watch, swipe left or swipe to the bottom and tap Stop.
Manage settings for Maps on your watch
You can tap Search to scroll to the bottom of the screen and change how Maps on your watch works.
To stop vibrations, on your watch, scroll to the bottom and turn Vibrations off. This setting is remembered for all your trips.
Stop autolaunch of directions on your watch
Directions automatically start on your watch when you start navigation in Google Maps on your phone. You can stop autolaunch of directions on your watch.
- On your watch, open the Maps app and tap Search.
- Swipe up until you reach the bottom of the screen and tap Settings Auto-launch menu.
- To stop navigation prompts while you drive, cycle, and walk, turn Driving, Cycling, and Walking off.
Find your location
When you open Maps on your watch, you can find your location as the blue dot and a compass needle that points north. To turn the compass on or off, tap the red compass indicator.
Use Search to find places
To open the search menu and find businesses, tap Search . To start a search, or find the phone number or address of a nearby business, you can use the keyboard and microphone. Learn how to find places with Google Maps.
Pan & zoom on the map
- To pan the map, use your finger to move the map around. To return the map to your current location, tap Location .
- To zoom on the map, rotate the button at the top of your watch.
- To zoom out, use a one-finger double-tap and drag-up gesture.
- To zoom in, use a one-finger double-tap and drag-down gesture.