Transfer your number out of Google Voice
Your Google Voice number is automatically locked to prevent it from being transferred without your approval. Before you can port your Google Voice number to another service provider, you need to unlock it first
There is a one-time $3 fee to transfer your number out of Google Voice. For users who ported their mobile numbers into Google Voice, the fee is waived.
Unlock your number
- Go to the Google Voice unlock settings page. Sign in to your Google Voice account if you aren't already signed in.
- If you only have one Google Voice number, place your mouse by your Google Voice number, and click Unlock my number. If you have more than one number, from the dropdown menu, select the number you want to transfer, and click Unlock my number.
- Click Continue.
- To complete the transfer process with Google Voice, pay with your Google Account on payments.google.com.
Once you're done, your Google Voice number is ready to be transferred out.
With your new service provider: You can start the transfer process with your new service provider. Keep in mind that you shouldn't provide your Google account password to your new service provider. If you start the transfer process before unlocking the number, it won't work, and we'll email you with the unlocking instructions.
Re-lock your Google Voice number
If you've changed your mind about porting your number, you can re-lock your number:
- Go to the Google Voice unlock settings page, and sign into your Google Voice account.
- Under your Google Voice number, click Relock my number.
- Click Continue.
You can always unlock your number again after re-locking it. You won't be charged the $3 fee. But the re-lock option won't be available if Google Voice has received a port out request from an external carrier. For example, if you've already started transferring out the number with Verizon or AT&T, re-locking your number won't prevent your number from going to that carrier.
Megan is a Google Voice expert and author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.