As your containers grow over time, it can become difficult to keep track of all of your tag, trigger, and variable configurations. To make these items easier to work with, use Tag Manager folders to organize these items into logical groupings.
Click Folders the left menu to see a list of all folders within a container. From there you can perform the following actions:
- To create a new folder, click New Folder.
- To place one or more tags, triggers, or variables into a folder, select their checkboxes in the list and then select a folder from the Move menu to place the items in an existing folder.
- Select one or more items in the list and click Folder from Selected to add those items to a new folder.
- Click a folder name to expand or collapse it in the list.
- Use More Actions to the right of a folder name to add new tags, triggers or variables to that folder, or to rename or delete a folder. When you create a new tag, trigger, or variable with this menu, items will be filed in the selected folder as they are created.
Put folders to use
Use of folders in practice is up to the individual or organization, and can vary greatly between installations. Some examples of how users might set this up include:
- Organize by project: Create a folder for a new microsite, or for a new ad campaign.
- Organize tag by team: Create a folder for an agency to work in.
- Organize tags by type: Create a folder for Google Analytics tags, another for Google Ads, another for 3rd party tags, and another for custom HTML tags.
Tip: Use a descriptive naming convention for your folders. This will help you and other collaborators understand how your tags and containers are organized.