Because of certain substances used in electronic equipment, throwing out old electronic devices along with regular garbage can hurt the environment and even threaten human health. So the EU Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Directive requires that these devices be marked with the above symbol, which reminds people not to throw away such items as unsorted waste.
EU Member States are also required to achieve high levels of collection of these devices for environmentally sound disposal. The success of this policy will depend on the active contributions of people like you.
So, before you toss your old phone or computer or other device, think for a moment. Could you reuse it? Recover it? Turn it into a sculpture? By extending the life of your device -- or at least returning it to a facility dedicated to its proper disposal--you’ll reduce waste and help the EU meet its goals.
Recycle your old devices with Google
Check by region
From the dropdown menu, select an option to check relevant information for your country.
Learn about Google waste management
Google strives to ensure that our products are designed, packaged, and recycled in a sustainable way. We can help you responsibly recycle your Google products, as well as other brands of electronics at no charge.How Google’s waste management program for electronics works
- The Google Store works with a 3rd party recycling partner who only accepts used electronic devices that are equivalent to a device that Google manufactures. You can return up to 3 old devices at no charge.
- By using this program, you are representing to the Google Store that you are the lawful owner of the old devices and have the right to recycle them.
- Before you send any devices to our 3rd party recycling partner, make sure that you:
- Save or transfer data of any kind.
- Delete all data from the hard drive or any other storage media.
- Remove any storage media and SIM cards.
- Remove any accessories like covers or screen protectors that you want to keep.
- Once our 3rd party recycling partner has received your old devices, they become the property of the recycling partner. You won't be able to get them back if you change your mind after the recycling partner has received them.
Selective treatment by reuse & recycling facilities
Send your devices to be recycled
To recycle your old devices, follow the steps below:
- Request a shipping at no additional charge label. Our third party recycling partner will send a postage-paid shipping label right to your inbox.
- Europe: Request a shipping label from ERI.
- Place your device in a sturdy box, attach the label, and follow the shipping instructions or drop it off at a collection site near you. Check with your manufacturer for data removal instructions.
- Enjoy peace of mind. Your device will be responsibly recycled.