Evaluate Search Ads 360 bid strategy performance
Allow a bid or budget strategy time to learn
An automated bidding strategy with a conversions or revenue goal enters learning mode when any of the following types of changes occur:
- The bid strategy is new. It can take a few days after creating a new bid strategy for it to enter learning mode.
- The specified CPA, ERS, or ROAS target changed by more than 30%.
- More than 30% of the bid strategy's portfolio changed. That is, more than 30% of the biddable items were added or removed.
- A different attribution model is selected. For example, the last-click attribution model is replaced by the linear attribution model.
- Floodlight tags (conversions) are selected. For example, a bid strategy includes Floodlight tags named Revenue, Subscriptions, and Interest. Then the Floodlight tag, Interest is removed from the bid strategy so that the only conversions it uses are now Revenue and Subscriptions.
When these types of changes occur, it may take about a week for the bid strategy to recalibrate. It has to learn how to set bids from the performance history of all of the biddable items in its portfolio and adjust to new targets.
Budget bid strategy
- The budget bid strategy is new. It will enter learning mode a few days after budget automation is enabled.
- A CPA, ERS, or ROAS constraint is added, removed, or adjusted.
- The target spend is increased or decreased significantly.
- A large number of campaigns are added or removed from the budget group.
- The conversion goal is different from the previous budget plan. For example, the conversion goal from May 15 to June 14 is conversions, but in a plan from June 15 to July 14, the goal is revenue.
- The conversion sources are different than in the previous budget plan.
When these types of changes occur, it may take about a week for the budget bid strategy to recalibrate. It has to learn how to set budgets, bids, and bid adjustments from the performance history of the all of the biddable items in its portfolio and adjust to new targets.
A bid or budget bid strategy learns from selected conversions and performance history of the biddable items and campaigns.
Recommendation: Let the strategy finish learning before making other changes or evaluating performance.
- Learning mode does not apply to auction-time bidding.