Experiment with ad copy
Create an ad copy test
Navigate to an ad group.Steps for navigating to an ad group
Click the navigation bar to display navigation options.
In the "Agency" list, click the agency that contains the advertiser. You can search for an agency by name or scroll through the list.
In the "Advertiser" list, click the advertiser that contains the engine account.
In the "Account" list, click the engine account that contains the campaign.
In the "Campaign" list, click the campaign that contains the ad group.
In the "Ad group" list, click the ad group.
Click Apply or press the Enter key.
Search Ads 360 displays the ad group page.
- Click the Ads tab.
- Optional. Create new ads with the same device preference, all-device or mobile-preferred, to include in the test.
Above the list of ads, click Create ad copy test, and then click one of the following options:
- All device ads. If you want to test Google Ads expanded text ads, include them in all-device ads tests.
- Mobile preferred ads
The Create ad copy test window lists the total number of ads that are included in the ad copy test.If you want to compare a subset of ads in an ad group, create a different ad group that contains only those ads that you want to test.
In the message that tells you that the ad rotation setting will be changed, optionally, choose the ad rotation setting to apply when the ad copy test completes.
If you want to set up an ad copy test, click Yes, create an ad copy test.
Type a unique name for the test.
Select one of the following goals for the ad group to optimize toward:
- CTR (Click through rate) - A percentage that shows how often people who see your ad click it.
- Revenue per visit- Displays the average revenue amount of each transaction that results from each visit.
- Action rate (converted visits) - Displays the percentage of visits that result in an action, such as a sign-up for a newsletter.
- Transaction rate (converted visits) - Displays the percentage of visits that result in a transaction such as a purchase.
- Specific Floodlight activity column with a revenue, action, or transaction metric.
Choose the statistical significance threshold that you want the ad copy test to achieve. The available options range from 85% to 99%. The most common setting is 95%.To achieve higher levels of significance such as 95% or 99%, an average of 5000 impressions per ad may be necessary.
- Click Start ad copy test.
The ad copy test starts to collect metrics at 12:00AM, the day after you start the test. That is, if you start the test on April 14th, the test begins to collect metrics at 12AM on April 15th.
- Wait a few days and then check the results on the Ad copy tests page. It may take some time for an ad group to achieve the minimum number of impressions.
- You can use existing ads and create new ads to be included in an ad copy test. If you make changes to an existing ad to test an ad component in the test, all metrics previously associated with the ad are lost. Including an existing ad in an ad copy test doesn’t overwrite the previously associated metrics.
- You shouldn’t edit ads that are included in an ad copy test because the test results will be inaccurate.
Test Google Ads expanded text ads in an all-device ad copy test.
To test expanded text ads, the ad group can contain only expanded text ads. The ad group shouldn't contain other ad types. For example, if an ad group contains mobile-preferred ads and expanded text ads, you can't create an ad copy test.
- Statistical measurement starts immediately and continues until you stop the test.
- You can run multiple ad copy tests simultaneously.
- You can’t remove ad copy tests. This enables you to view historical data about the tests.
- Ad copy tests aren't supported for Bing Ads expanded text ads or Yahoo! Gemini ad groups.