Add effects to your photos with Auto Awesome
See your photos and videos with fun special effects by using Auto Awesome. Some effects, like falling snow or GIF animations, may be automatically added to your photos. If you have an Android device, you can choose to add some of the effects to any photos you choose.
Your originals are safe
Don't worry, your original photos aren't deleted. Auto Awesome just makes a copy of them & your original photos are still in your Google+ photos.
- Open the Photos app > touch the menu icon/button at the top right > Settings > your name.
- Check or uncheck the box next to "Create awesome new images, movies, and stories from your photos and videos."iOS app
Go to my settings
- Open Google+. Place your cursor in the top left corner for the Google+ main menu.
- Click Settings > check or uncheck the box next to "Create awesome new images, movies, and stories from your photos and videos."Mobile browser
- Open the Google+ app > touch the menu icon at the top left > gear icon > Camera and Photos.
- Next to Auto Awesome, toggle the switch on or off.This setting is not available using a mobile web browser at this time.
Auto Awesome is on by default. If you don't like the Auto Awesome effect on a photo, you can simply delete the photo or movie. Since the Auto Awesome photo or movie is a copy, your original photos will still be in your Google+ photos. Turning off this setting means that Auto Awesome effects will not be automatically added to your photos, but you'll still be able to add effects to a photo yourself.
How to get Auto Awesome photos
You can get Auto Awesome photos automatically or, if you have an Android device, create them.
Get effects automatically
- The easiest way to get Auto Awesome effects is to turn on Auto Backup and take lots of pictures. When your Google+ photos match certain criteria, you might get copies of them made into things like short animations or wide-screen panoramas.
- We'll notify you when an Auto Awesome photo has been created and these photos are private unless you choose to share them.
- If you want to stop getting effects, you can turn Auto Awesome off.
|Effect||What it does||Example||When you might get this effect|
|HDR||Combines best lighting from each photo||Take 3+ photos of the same scene (with no movement) using a different exposure setting for each one.|
|Motion||Short animation||Take 5+ successive photos of something moving (while holding the camera still)|
|Pano||Combines partly overlapping photos into one wide view||Move the camera right or left to capture 3+ photos of partly overlapping areas|
|Mix||Photobooth style grid||Take 3+ successive photos of someone with the same background (works best with faces)|
Get effects manually (Android only)
You can choose any of your photos and make a Movie, Motion (animated GIF), or Mix (collage) from them.
- Open the Photos app > touch the Photos icon at the top left to open the menu > Auto Awesome.
- Touch the create icon at the top right to make a Movie, Motion, or Mix.
|Effect||What it is||Example|
|Motion||An animated GIF using up to 50 photos.|
|Mix||A photobooth-style grid of up to 9 photos.|
You might also like: