Screen your calls before answering them
You can see who’s calling and why before you answer a call using Call Screen. Your phone uses Google Assistant to screen calls, not Wi-Fi or mobile data. Learn how Call Screen works with your data.
Note: You can screen calls in English, in the United States and Canada, on all Pixel phones, and on some other Android phones.
- Check if you have the latest version of the Phone app . If you see "Update," tap it to update the app.
- When someone calls, tap Screen call.
- Your Google Assistant will screen your call, and ask who's calling and why. You'll see a real-time transcript of how the caller responds.
- Call Screen doesn't save to your Google Account, your Google Assistant Activity page, or to Web and App Activity.
- Once the caller responds, choose a suggested response or an action. Here are some responses and what the caller will hear:
- Is it urgent? - “Do you need to get a hold of them urgently?”
- Report as spam - “Please remove this number from your mailing and contact list. Thanks, and goodbye.”
- I'll call you back - “They can’t talk right now, but they'll give you a call later. Thanks, and goodbye.”
- I can't understand - "It's difficult to understand you at the moment. Could you repeat what you just said?”
Get transcripts for screened calls
Transcripts of screened calls will be saved on your phone. All screened calls will save a transcript.
- Go to your screened call, then tap the number or contact's name.
- Tap Call details.
- For screened call, tap See transcript. You can rate the transcript. The rating is anonymous and Google only collects data on the positive or negative rating.
Delete the transcript: You'll need to delete the whole call log entry for the number. Tap the phone number Call details Delete .
Info to keep in mind
- Call Screen doesn’t work with third-party call recording and screen recording apps. These apps may interfere with how the feature works, and we recommend turning off these apps before using Call Screen.
- Sometimes Call Screen may not understand the caller. To ask the caller to repeat themselves, tap I can’t understand. The caller will hear, ""It's difficult to understand you at the moment. Could you repeat what you just said?”