Screen your calls before answering them
You can see who’s calling and why before you answer a call with the help of your Google Assistant. Call Screen doesn’t use Wi-Fi or your mobile data. Learn more about how Call Screen works with your data.
Call Screen is only available to English speakers in the United States who have Pixel 2, 2 XL, 3, or 3XL devices. If you don't see Call Screen in the Phone app's settings, it's not available yet.
Make sure you have version 24 and up for the Phone app.
- When someone calls, tap Screen call.
- The Google Assistant will help you screen your call, and ask who's calling and why. Then you'll see a real-time transcript of how the caller responds.
- Call Screen doesn't save to your Google Account, your Google Assistant Activity page, or to Web and App Activity.
- Once the caller responds, choose a suggested response or an action. Here are some responses and what the caller will hear:
- Is it urgent? - “Do you need to get a hold of them urgently?”
- Report as spam - “Please remove this number from your mailing and contact list. Thanks, and goodbye.”
- I'll call you back - “They can’t talk right now, but they'll give you a call later. Thanks, and goodbye.”
- I can't understand - "It's difficult to understand you at the moment. Could you repeat what you just said?”
Tip: You can answer or end the call at any time.
Get transcripts for screened calls
Transcripts of screened calls will be saved on your phone. All screened calls will save a transcript.
- Go to your screened call, then tap the number or contact's name.
- Tap Call details.
- For screened call, tap See transcript. You can rate the transcript. The rating is anonymous and Google only collects data on the positive or negative rating.
Delete the transcript: You'll need to delete the whole call log entry for the number. Tap the phone number Call details Delete .
Info to keep in mind
- Call Screen doesn’t work with third-party call recording and screen recording apps. These apps may interfere with how the feature works, and we recommend turning off these apps before using Call Screen.
- Sometimes Call Screen may not understand the caller. To ask the caller to repeat themselves, tap I can’t understand. The caller will hear, ""It's difficult to understand you at the moment. Could you repeat what you just said?”