Making the most out of Google News
When you publish a great story, you want to make sure that it reaches as many interested readers as possible.
Here are some tips on how Google News can help you get there:
- Submit your site for inclusion in Google News. Review our inclusion guidelines, and if you believe that your site abides by them and would like to be part of Google News, you can apply for inclusion within the Google News Publisher Centre. If you believe that your site is already included, you can check whether we're crawling articles from your site by using our site operator. Specifically, from the Google News home page, enter [site:example.com] and click search.
- Update our record of your news site in the Google News Publisher Centre. Keeping your site's information up to date helps improve discovery and classification of your great news content! Learn more about how to get the most out of the Publisher Centre here.
- Create a Google News sitemap. Once your site has been processed, we strongly encourage you to submit a Google News sitemap in Search Console. This tool will help enhance discovery of your new articles, give you increased control over your content in Google News and let you view news-specific crawl errors.
- Review tips for troubleshooting your site. If you find that there are issues with our crawling of your site or that your site's traffic seems lower than expected, it's possible that we are overlooking a few of your articles – perhaps due to a technical issue. We encourage you to follow our troubleshooting steps to determine what may be causing our system to miss your content.
- Take advantage of additional features to highlight high-quality journalism. These include:
- Editors' Picks: This feature enables you to provide up to five links to original news content that you believe represents your organisation's best journalistic work at any given moment, and potentially have it displayed on the Google News home page or selected section pages. Note: The Editors' Picks feature is currently offered in over 20 Google News editions, and we plan to continue to add it to additional editions over time. If it isn't yet offered in your edition, check again later!
- Standout tag: If your news organisation breaks a big story or publishes an extraordinary work of journalism, you can indicate this by using the standout tag.
- Share more with Google News.
- Highlight your mobile apps. Provide links to your mobile apps in the Partner Centre so that we can surface them to Google News users in the right context. For example, your apps may appear below your Editors' Picks feed on the Google News desktop homepage and News & Weather app.
If you have any further questions, we strongly recommend having a look at our Google News Help Forum, where publishers (several of which are also Google News product experts!) share helpful tips and expertise! If you're still having trouble after consulting the forum, don't hesitate to report an issue to our team.