Real-time text (RTT) lets you use text to communicate during a phone call. RTT works with TTY and doesn't require any additional accessories.
- The information in this article might not apply to all devices. To find out if you can use RTT with your device and service plan, check with your carrier. RTT uses call minutes, just like a voice call.
- At this time, Google Fi doesn't support RTT. Learn more about Google Fi accessibility features.
Step 1: Turn on RTT
To turn on RTT, go to your Phone app settings.
Step 2: Use RTT
You can place a call with RTT, or you can switch from voice to RTT during a call.
Make a call with RTT
Important: This option is available if you chose "Always visible" in your Phone app settings.
- Open your device's Phone app .
- Pick who to call:
- To enter a number, tap Dialpad .
- To pick a saved contact, tap Contacts .
- To pick from numbers you’ve recently called, tap Recents .
- To pick from contacts saved to speed dial, tap Favorites .
- Tap RTT . While the phone rings, the other person's screen displays an invitation to join the RTT call .
- After the other person answers, enter a message in the text field. The text that you enter is visible to the other person as you type.
- When you’re done with the call, tap End call . If your call is minimized, drag the call bubble to the bottom right of the screen.
Switch from voice to RTT during a call
Important: This option is available if you chose "Always visible" or "Visible during call" in your Phone app settings. You can switch to RTT on any call, whether you started or received the call.
- During a call, tap RTT .
- Enter a message in the text field. The text that you enter is visible to the other person as you type.
Merge, hold, or switch to voice
These options are available on select carriers.
- To switch from RTT to a voice call, tap More Switch to voice call.
- To place the call on hold, tap More Hold.
- To merge the RTT call with another voice or RTT call, tap More Merge calls.
Tips for using RTT during a call
- The text that you enter appears to the other person in real time, unlike with chat messaging. For example, if you make a mistake and then delete it, the other person can see the mistake and the deletion.
- The other person can request to switch to RTT, even if you've selected "Not visible" in your Phone app settings.
- RTT calls include an audio stream. To mute or un-mute your microphone, tap Mute .
- You can have multiple RTT calls going at the same time.
- You can use RTT to call emergency services.For select carriers, RTT is available for emergency calls even if you've selected "Not visible" in your phone app settings.
- RTT isn't available when roaming abroad.
View a call transcript
- Open your device's Phone app .
- Tap Recents .
- Tap the call Call details.
- Tap See transcript.
Delete a call transcript
You can delete a transcript in either of the following ways:
- Delete the call in your call history. Learn how to delete call history.
- Clear Phone app data in Android settings. Learn how to clear app data.
Tip: On Google Pixel devices, your call transcript is only stored within the Phone app, and other apps don't have access to your call transcript. Other devices might work differently. To find out how your transcript is stored, check with your device manufacturer.