The GTIN (Global Trade Item Number) value submitted for this item is not the correct one for this product. This error usually occurs when the GTIN from another product is accidentally re-used.
For any given item, you must only use the GTIN number that is provided by the manufacturer. This identifier uniquely defines your product and helps to match search queries with your offers.
If your product has a barcode, you can normally find the GTIN on the packaging.
If you confirm that the GTIN you’ve provided correctly corresponds to your product, please make sure that the other item attributes (for example,
description) are high quality and consistent with your product.
For more information about the validation of GTINs, refer to the GTIN Validation Guide edited by GS1.
Step 1: See the affected products
- Sign in to your Merchant Center account.
- Select Products on the navigation menu, then click Diagnostics.
- Click the Item issues tab to see current issues affecting your products.
To download a list (.csv) of all affected items for all issues:
- Click the download button next to the filter button , beneath the graph and above the list of issues.
To download a list (.csv) of all affected items for a particular issue:
- Find the issue under the “Issue” column, then click the download button at the end of the row.
To see a list of up to 50 products with this particular issue:
- Find the issue under the “Issue” column, then click View samples in the “Affected items” column.
Step 2: Correct the product identifiers to exactly match those provided by the manufacturer for that same product
- Filter the downloaded report so that you only see products with:
“Issue title” = Incorrect identifier [gtin]
- Check your submitted product data for those products (using the item ID), and make sure each product is using the correct value for the
Step 3: Resubmit your product data
- After you’ve updated your product data, resubmit it using one of these methods:
- Next, check that you’ve fixed the issue by making sure it’s no longer listed on the Diagnostics page.
Keep in mind: It may take some time for your change to be reflected on the Diagnostics page.
Note: Updating an item’s GTIN will not immediately re-approve the offer. New GTINs must be re-examined before an offer is reapproved. Re-examination typically occurs within a week. In the meantime the offer will be marked as "under review".
Step 4 (Optional): Request manual review
If you believe that some of your offers were incorrectly disapproved, you can request a manual review to have those offers reviewed and reapproved.
- In your Merchant Center account, click Products in the navigation menu.
- On the Diagnostics page select Item issues and scroll to a specific policy violation. Under the “Affected items” column, click View samples.
- If you believe the item warrants a manual review, click into the product under the “Example” column and navigate to the “Item status” section. Under "Actions" click Request review.
- Review the policies related to your item disapproval, then check the box that acknowledges that you reviewed this information.
- Click Request manual review.
If there are multiple items that you believe were incorrectly disapproved, you’ll need to request a review for each of these items individually.