About Merchant Promotions on Shopping Actions
Merchant Promotions is a feature that allows you to distribute online promotions with Shopping Actions on Google. When you add promotions to your Shopping Actions inventory, shoppers see a promotional banner on the product details page for applicable products. This link can increase the appeal of your products on Shopping Actions and encourage shoppers to buy.
- Increase conversions: Give shoppers a reason to buy now.
- Capture multi-screen traffic: Google shows “special offer” links on desktop and mobile devices.
Merchant Promotions on Shopping Actions is currently available in the US. If you’re interested in participating, complete the Merchant Promotions interest form. Learn more about policy and promotion types
Note: To complete the interest form, you must have a Google Merchant Center account. Learn more about how to configure your accounts
How it works
Once your product feed is set up, you can create a promotion with the promotion builder tool or upload a promotion feed. Google will review each type of promotion you’ve created and update the status in the Merchant Center.
Promotion approval process
After your promotions feed and products feed are processed, Google reviews and approves your promotions before distributing them. We recommend that you submit your promotions as early as possible for a timely review. As always, you are responsible for ensuring that your promotions comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
The approval process requires 2 steps:
- Policy review: The policy review confirms the promotion follows all editorial requirements and program policies and will occur shortly after a promotion is submitted during weekday business hours.
- Validation review: When a promotion becomes active on your site, Google testers will verify that the promotion works and that it follows all program policies.
If your promotion does not comply with the policies for the destination(s) selected, your promotion will be disapproved. Multi-destination promotions must comply with the policies for both destinations.
Create a promotion
You can create a promotion two different ways - through a promotion feed or using the promotion builder tool in the Promotions section of your Merchant Center account. Below, you’ll find a detailed review of each of the methods.
Note: Make sure you’ve completed the Merchant Promotions interest form. The Merchant Promotions team will let you know when you’re ready to start implementation.
Submit a Promotions feed
The Promotions feed is a spreadsheet that contains all of the promotions you use online. Use a Promotions feed if you have a high volume of promotions to submit.
To get started, do the following:
- Sign in to your Merchant Center account.
- Create a spreadsheet (e.g. tab-delimited file, .xml file, or Google Sheets)
- Use the required feed attributes to tell us about each of your promotions. Visit the Promotions on Shopping Actions feed specification article for more information.
- To upload your Promotions feed, click Marketing on the navigation menu, then click Promotions.
- Click the Promotion feeds link in the top-right corner of the page.
The Promotions tool is located in the Promotions section of your Merchant Center account. It allows you to manually enter individual promotions. Use the Promotions tool if you have a small number of promotions to submit.
To add promotions manually, follow the steps below:
- Click Marketing in the navigation menu, then click Promotions.
- Click the plus icon .
- Enter the promotion details and click Save.
The promotion will appear in your dashboard. Follow the steps above for each promotion that you want to submit individually.
Note: To edit a
promotion_id, re-submit the
promotion_id with the updated information.
You may quickly set up a promotion and omit tagging products with the
promotion_id in your product feed by apply filters:
- All products
- Custom filters (Brand, Item ID, Item Group ID, Product type. Input limit is 1000 values)
This option is available for both promotion builder tool and the Promotions feed
Example: Say you are selling shoes, and you want to run a promotion on all shoes besides a select few. You can use the Item ID filter to exclude SKUs you aren't promoting.
The Destination attribute allows you to target your promotions to Shopping Ads, Shopping Actions, or both. Based on how you submit your promotion, there are a few ways to add the destination.
Promotion Builder Tool
After you begin building a promotion with the promotions tool, you will see a Destinations section. By default, both the Shopping Actions and Shopping ads destination are selected. To change your promotion destination, deselect the destination you do not want to use. Based on the destination type you select, the available promotion category options will change.
If you submit your promotions through the Promotions Feed, you can add the
promotion_destination attribute to your feed. Follow these formatting guidelines to make sure we understand the data you're submitting.
Add a supported value to your feed. To submit your promotion to both destinations, separate each value as a separately submitted column:
End a promotion
You can end a promotion at any time, but you should only do this if you would like to terminate a live promotion. Ended promotions can't be restarted.
To end a promotion, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your Merchant Center account.
- Click Promotions.
- Check the box next to the promotion you want to end.
- Click End promotions at the top of the dashboard.
You may also end specific promotions from the promotion description page. To end a promotion from the description page, scroll to the bottom of the page and select End promotion.
Note: After you end a promotion, it may take a few hours before it's removed from Google.com and Shopping Actions.