Set up return policies for Shopping Actions
This article only applies to merchants enrolled in the Shopping Actions program. For general information on returns, see the Merchant Center guidelines.
When you submit products to Google Merchant Center, you must also provide information about your return policies. Return policy is a key factor for people who are making a purchasing decision, and setting up such policies may help the performance of your products.
The return policies that you add to Merchant Center must at least match the return policy standards required by the Shopping Actions program. The return window must be at least 14 business days, starting at delivery time. Please note: The configurable settings will guide your policy creation, but will not ensure that your return policies adhere to the required return policy standards. Items that don't meet the minimum standards may be removed from your available inventory or have the Google minimum return policy applied. Return policy settings can take up to 24 hours to go into effect. Learn more about return policies for Shopping Actions.
How it works
In order to set up returns, you must create return policies and set up configurations in Google Merchant Center. Return policies can be associated with all products or with specific groups of products, which can be specified using the
return_policy_label attribute. Return configurations are associated with all products.
For each return policy, you can configure a number of settings, such as return eligibility, when customers are responsible for return shipping costs, and additional text to describe your return policy.
Add a return policy
The first return policy that you create will be your default return policy. This policy will apply to all items with a return policy attribute that is empty or cannot be found in the return settings. After setting up your default policy, you can add additional return policies for specific groups of products.
To add a return policy:
- Sign in to Merchant Center.
- Click Returns on the page menu.
- Click the plus button .
Step 1: Policy settings
- Name your policy (not applicable to default policy). Add a descriptive name to distinguish this return policy, such as “Shoe returns,” or “Non-perishable products.” Each return policy name must be unique.
- Apply a label. Enter a label, such as accessories, that will match the return_policy_label attribute in the feed.
- Return time window. Decide if items covered by this policy:
- Can be returned for a specific time period.
- Can be returned at any time.
- May not be returned.
Step 2: Reason for return fees
Select reasons (such as, “does not fit” or “ordered by mistake”) to indicate when the return cost is the responsibility of the customer. If you do not select any reasons, or if the reason for the return is not included among the reasons that you do select, you will be responsible for the cost of the return, as specified in the Shopping Actions Return policy. Note: Actual return shipping costs will be specified by the Shopping Actions program. Restocking fees are not allowed.
Step 3: Seasonal overrides
Set a seasonal override for products that are ordered within a specific time range and for which there is an exception to the standard return policy.
- Enter override name. Choose a name to identify your override.
- Override dates. Determine the purchase period to which the policy applies.
- Return time window. Specify the latest date by which items must be returned, set specific dates during which items may be returned, or allow items to be returned at any time or not at all.
Note: If you set a specific date until which items may be returned and that date differs from the return duration of a non-seasonal policy, the more favorable of the two policies will be applied.
Add return_policy_label attribute to products
If you only have one return policy (the default policy), you do not need to make any updates to your feed.
If you have created multiple return policies, you will need to add the
return_policy_label column to your feed. If the default policy applies, keep this column blank. If a non-default return policy applies, add the label name for that policy.