Use Automated feeds for Shopping ads to build your product data
Automated feeds for Shopping ads make it easier to send product data to Google, which will allow you to advertise your products and reach new customers.
This article explains how to submit your product data using Automated feeds for Shopping ads.
How it works
Automated feeds for Shopping ads uses a feature called Website crawl, which uses crawls of your website to read structured data and sitemap information to extract the most up-to-date information about relevant products from your website.
In order for those website crawls to work for Automated feeds for Shopping ads, you'll have to add schema.org structured data markup to your website. Learn more about structured data markup
Google also reads your website's sitemaps to comprehensively crawl your site. Learn more about sitemaps
After you've added structured data markup to your site, the feed input method "Website crawl" will become available in your Merchant Center account when you are creating a new primary feed. This will then create product data in the Feeds section of your account.
Before you begin
- If there is not yet structured data implemented on your landing pages, add structured data markup to your website - specifically, to all product landing pages.
- Make sure Automated feeds for Shopping ads are available in your country of sale. Automated feeds for Shopping ads are available globally with the exception of Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czechia, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
Set up Automated feeds for Shopping ads
To set up your website for Automated feeds for Shopping ads:
- Sign up for Google Merchant Center. Make sure to verify and claim your website URL.
- Check that your website and specifically the product landing pages have structured data markup correctly implemented. You can do this using the Structured Data Testing Tool.
- To use Automated feeds for Shopping ads, the following attributes are required: id, title, price, availability, and image_link. You may submit values for other attributes. Depending on the products you sell, you may also be required to submit GTIN, brand, MPN, size, color, description, or condition.
- In your Merchant Center account, under Products, click Feeds. To create a new primary feed, click the plus button. Learn more about creating a feed
If you don't see "Website crawl" as the input method in your Merchant Center account, make sure:
- Automated feeds for Shopping ads are available in your country of sale.
- Your structured data markup is correctly implemented for all required attributes
- You have removed or don't currently have a feed in your account
- Your account is not suspended
- You have the correct robots.txt settings, and Googlebot is not blocked. Learn more
How to use and monitor Automated feeds for Shopping ads
After Automated feeds for Shopping Ads are active and using the "Website crawl" input method you can monitor your product data in the Merchant Center Product List tab, resolve data quality issues in the Diagnostics tab or review recommendations for improvements in the Merchant Center Opportunities tab. Your data will be refreshed regularly, depending on the traffic that your website receives from Google.
Additionally, you'll be able to update your product data in Merchant Center using supplemental feeds as often as you like. Supplemental feeds provide additional information to your feed. You can refresh these supplemental feeds more often, or send additional details that are not part of your primary feed. Learn more about supplemental feeds
To make broad changes across your product data, you can use Feed Rules. Learn more about feed rules