description [description]: Definition
When to use
Required for each product
Follow these formatting guidelines to make sure that we understand the data that you're submitting.
|String (Unicode characters, some plain HTML*, Recommend: ASCII only)|
(What is this?)
|Product.description, Type: Text|
|Supported (non-exhaustive list)||strong, em, ul, ol, li, br, sub, sup, div, span, dl, dt, dd|
|Not supported||Attributes of all tags
Unsafe tags, for example, 'style' or 'canvas'
|File format||Example value|
For format API information, please see Content API for Shopping.
Follow these guidelines to make sure that you submit high-quality data for your products and get the best performance from your ads.
These are the requirements that you'll need to meet to show ads for your product. If you don't follow these requirements, we'll disapprove your product and let you know on the Diagnostics page of your Merchant Center account.
- Describe only the product itself. Don't describe other aspects like details about compatible products, accessories, other similar products available. Don't provide your business's history or policies.
- Use professional and grammatically correct language. Correct grammar is easier to understand and gives you a more professional appearance, which can lead to more clicks. Also avoid gimmicky ways of drawing attention such as all caps, symbols and promotional text. Learn more about the editorial & professional requirements.
- Don't use words from foreign languages, unless they're commonly understood such as a product with a foreign name or title.
- For example, the word "sushi" is commonly understood outside of Japan.
- Write foreign words using the alphabet of your target language. For example, avoid Japanese characters when targeting the United States. Letters with accents, like 'Les Clés' are allowed.
- Don't use foreign characters for gimmicky purposes. This technique is common in spam and untrustworthy ads. For example: (ಠ_ಠ)
- Use XML entities or escaped characters instead of symbols. If you're submitting your product data in XML or JSON, and you need to include symbols, make sure that you follow the XML or JSON specification. So for XML, use XML entities such as
". For JSON, use escape characters such as \". If you automatically encode your description, be careful not to encode it twice.
- Don't include comparisons or details about other products. For example, don't mention things like 'even better than X'. Let customers research other products on their own.
- Don't include references to categorisation systems. For example, don't include "Toys & Games > Toys > Dolls, Playsets & Toy Figures > Dolls". Include this information using the
- Don't include links to your shop or other websites. Include only a link to your product's landing page with the
- Don't use capital letters for emphasis. Capitalised text is common in spam and untrustworthy ads. You should still use capitalisation when it's appropriate, including for abbreviations, phone numbers, countries and currency. For example, ADHD, UNICEF, 1-555-CALL-NOW, UK and USD.
- Don't include promotional text. Don't add information such as price, sale price, sale dates, delivery, delivery date, other time-related information or your company's name. Include this information with the other attributes such as
These are best practices that can help you go beyond the basic requirements to optimise your product data for performance.
- Be specific and accurate. The more specific you are in your description, the easier it is for users to identify the product that they are searching for.
- List the most important details in the first 160-500 characters. You can include up to 5000 characters, but users will need to click to expand a longer description.
- Include your product's most relevant features and visual attributes. Examples of types of information to include:
- Intended age range
- Special features
- Technical specifications
- Design. For example, users can search for very specific visual terms like 'retractable ballpoint pens'.
- Variants. List product-defining details like colour, size, age group, pattern, flavour or material.
- Rich descriptions. Users find descriptions easier to read when they are well-formatted. Include control characters and HTML tags, such as line breaks, italics and bulleted lists to increase the readability of your description.
Review each section closely to determine whether the requirements apply to your country or product. If you don't follow requirements that apply to you, we'll disapprove your product and let you know in the Diagnostics page of your Merchant Center account.
- Include a description of the product’s customisation details. For example, if a product can be engraved with text, add that information to the description.
- Describe the entire product bundle or multipack. For example, for a bundle, you might include a description of everything sold together with the main product. For a multipack, you might include information about how many products are sold together.
||Chromecast is a media streaming device that plugs into the HDMI port on your TV. Simply use your mobile device and the TV that you already own to cast your favourite TV shows, movies, music, sports, games and more. Chromecast works with iPhone, iPad, Android, Mac, Windows and Chromebook.|
|Product||Book, "How Google Works" by Eric Schmidt|
||"How Google works" is an entertaining, page-turning primer containing lessons that Eric and Jonathan learned as they helped build the company. The authors explain how technology has shifted the balance of power from companies to consumers, and that the only way to succeed in this ever-changing landscape is to create superior products and attract a new breed of multifaceted employees whom Eric and Jonathan dub "smart creatives".|
|Product||Pens, red ink|
||These pens feature a generous grip for comfortable writing and a retractable ballpoint that provides for easy ink flow. Red ink.|
|Product||Pens, black ink|
||These pens feature a generous grip for comfortable writing and a retractable ballpoint that provides for easy ink flow. Black ink.|