About the Assortment Report
The Assortment Report shows you the most popular products on Google Shopping that you aren't advertising. This popularity data is available by Google product category to help you make decisions about new products to stock and how to price them.
This article explains how the Assortment Report works and what you can do to get the most from it.
- Get the right products: Since the Assortment Report shows you which products are most popular right now, you'll have more insight into new brands or products that you could add to your own assortment. Filter the report by Google Product Category to look at the products that make the most sense for your business.
- Set the right price: The Assortment Report gives you up to 5 benchmark prices for each product. This information may provide useful context as you decide how you would like to price products you advertise on Google Shopping.
How it works
The Assortment Report shows you the most popular items on Google Shopping in your target country for the last 7 days. It only includes products that you did not get impressions on in the last 7 days. Brands that are only offered by one merchant are excluded.
To get started, you'll filter the information in the report by choosing a Google product category. You can only select from categories where you're currently receiving ad impressions. The list of all Google product categories can be found in the Google product taxonomy.
Here's the information you'll find in the report:
- Rank: The popularity of the item on Google Shopping, based on user clicks and other indicators. In the list of 100 items, 1 is most popular and 100 is least popular in the report.
- Image: A sample main image provided in the 'image link' attribute by merchants on Google Shopping.
- Brand: The product's manufacturer.
- Title: A sample title for the product provided in the 'title' attribute by merchants on Google Shopping.
- Description: A sample description for the product provided in the 'description' attribute by merchants on Google Shopping.
- Category: The Google product category that this item belongs to on Google Shopping.
- Benchmark Prices: Up to 5 prices for this product in ads that are currently listed on Google Shopping. These values do not include shipping cost.
If you submit products for multiple countries, you'll be able to select the country from the dropdown menu above the report table.
You can download the results of the report into a CSV file by clicking the Download button in the top right corner of the report table.
Depending on the type of business you run, you might want to use this report in different ways.
- Retailer selling products in many categories: Consider searching for results based on a high-level Google product category, like 'Media' or 'Home & Garden'. You'll get the widest understanding of product popularity, because the results will include products from the all sub-categories within the category you chose.
- Retailer specializing in a specific category: Consider searching for results based on a narrow Google product category, like 'Home & Garden > Plants > Trees'. You'll get a focused understanding of product popularity in a very specific category.
Here are common issues with the Assortment Report and what to do about them.
The report only includes products that are advertised by multiple merchants. If you see the message “No Assortment Report available for the selected category” in your Assortment Report tab, it means that there aren't enough merchants advertising the same products in the selected category and country.
This can happen for several reasons:
- You aren't using GTINs (also known as UPCs and EANs) to identify your products. We use Global Trade Item Numbers (GTINs) to match your products to official records of products defined through GS1. Learn more about using GTINs.
- You don't carry the individual variant shown in the report. The report can show product variants that you haven't submitted with your product data or you don't have in stock. For example, if you only stock the Nexus 9 tablet in black, you might see the Nexus 9 tablet in white in the report if the white variant is very popular. Learn more about variants and how to express them in your product data.
- You sell the product on your website, but it isn't submitted with your product data. Submit this product with your product data to start advertising it.
Products are included in the report solely based on the level of interest they receive from Google users. While many merchants have found that this provides useful market insight for assortment planning, there are a variety of reasons why some of the products in the report may not be suitable for your business, for example due to very high or low price points, or manufacturer-restricted distribution.