Add your product's globally valid GTIN
One or more of the values that you’ve submitted for the GTIN
[gtin] attribute is invalid. This error usually occurs because the value contains characters that aren't numerals, it has an invalid checksum, or it uses formatting that doesn't match one of the standard GTIN types.
You must only use GTIN numbers as they have been assigned by the manufacturer.
If your product has a barcode, you can normally find the GTIN on the packaging.
For more information about the validation of GTINs, refer to the GTIN Validation Guide.
Step 1: See the affected products
- Sign in to your Merchant Center account.
- Select Products on the navigation menu, then click Diagnostics.
- Click the Item issues tab to see current issues affecting your products.
To download a list (.csv) of all affected products for all issues:
- Click the download button next to the filter button , beneath the graph and above the list of issues.
To download a list (.csv) of all affected products for a particular issue:
- Find the issue under the “Issue” column, then click the download button at the end of the row.
To see a list of up to 50 products with this particular issue:
- Find the issue under the “Issue” column, then click View examples in the “Affected items” column.
Step 2: Use a globally valid GTIN
- Filter the downloaded report so you only see products with:
"Issue title" = Invalid value: GTIN
- Search your product data for those products (using the ID), and make sure each product is using an accurate GTIN. Here are some reasons the GTIN might not be accurate:
- Too many or too few digits. GTINs are 8, 10, 12, 13, or 14 digits.
- Failed check digit validation. If you mistyped a digit, the check digit can help to catch that. Use the GS1 check digit calculator
Step 3: Resubmit your product data
- After you’ve updated your product data, resubmit it using one of these methods:
- Next, check that you’ve fixed the issue by making sure it’s no longer listed on the Diagnostics page.
Keep in mind: It may take some time for your change to be reflected on the Diagnostics page.