To participate in Product Ratings by uploading a feed of reviews, you must have a minimum of 50 reviews in your Product Ratings feed.
If you are participating in Product Ratings through Google Customer Reviews, your reviews will be collected by Google Customer Reviews and sent to Merchant Center.
Here are additional policies that apply to all retailers signed up for Product Ratings:
- Spam: Ensure your review feeds are free of irrelevant, repetitive, or nonsensical text.
- Phone numbers, email addresses or URLs: Do not include phone numbers, email addresses and links to other websites in the review content.
- Personal and confidential information: Do not send reviews that contain personal information, including but not limited to full names, credit card information, national insurance number, driving license information, etc.
- Keep it clean: Do not use obscene, profane, or offensive language. We remove reviews that include personal attacks.
- Conflict of interest: Reviews are most valuable when they are honest and unbiased. We remove reviews that we believe have conflicts of interest and/or have been written by employees or people with a vested interest in the product. Submit reviews that were honestly solicited from customers who made a purchase and don’t submit reviews that were paid for.
- Illegal content: Do not send reviews that contain or link to unlawful content, such as links that facilitate the sale of prescription drugs without a prescription.
- Copyrighted content: Do not send reviews that infringe on others' rights, including copyright. For more information or to file a Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) request, review our copyright procedures.
- Plagiarism: We do not allow the appropriation of other people's content in a review.
- Sexually explicit material: We do not allow reviews that contain sexually explicit material. We also do not allow reviews that sexually exploit children or present them in a sexual manner. For this type of content, we remove the review, shut down the product reviews feed, and send a report to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) and to law enforcement.
- Hate speech: We do not allow reviews that advocate against groups of people based on their race or ethnic origin, nationality, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Violent language should not be used in reviews.
- Cross promotion of other products/websites: Reviews should not include promotional content for other websites, products, services, etc.
- Off-topic reviews: We do not allow reviews that primarily seek to discuss other topics unrelated to the product itself. This includes comments about shipping and delivery, experiences with particular retailers, political or social controversy, and attacks on others. We remove reviews that do not represent a first-hand experience with the product.
- Impersonation: We do not allow reviews from people claiming to be someone that they are not.
- Language: Reviews will show in the original language they are written in, with an option on the Shopping page to be translated to the user’s language.
- Duplicate content: Each review should only appear in one feed. The same review should not be appearing in feeds from different retailers. Essentially, this means the retailer should own the review and is not using content syndicated from other sources. In the case of duplicate reviews in multiple feeds, we may blocklist one or more of the reviews or entire feeds.
The better the overall quality of your reviews, the more impact they have on shoppers’ buying decisions. For feed-based Product Ratings, please make sure that your reviews are relevant and provide value when shoppers research a product. For example, a review like, “luv it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):)” has no relevant information and is considered low-quality. Low-quality reviews may not be shown.
Our program policies do not allow you to convert a review system with fewer than 5 stars to a 5-star review system. For example, you may not assign a star rating to a Yes/No question such as “Will you buy this product again?”
There are a few exceptions to this policy:
- Retailers whose e-commerce site is hosted by an online marketplace that collects and shares reviews for these retailers.
- If a business manages accounts on behalf of a retailer that wants to share reviews with Google, those managed accounts are eligible.
- A retailer may send a single review feed for all its subsidiaries if the retailer collects reviews for all of these subsidiaries and it is not possible to assign review ownership to each individual subsidiary. If this applies to you, please get in touch with us.
- Retailers participating in Product Ratings through Google Customer Reviews.
User generated images in product reviews
|Submit high quality photos (high resolution) from your customers||Submit dark or blurry photos|
|Submit photos that your customers have taken themselves||Use images that the customers didn't take themselves|
|Ensure that photos submitted by your customers are relevant||Use customer photos that contain irrelevant imagery, advertising, or promotional material|
|Ensure that photos submitted by your customers use filters minimally||Use customer photos that contain screenshots, drawings, or other non-photos|
|Ensure that photos submitted by your customers use relevant text or overlay||Use customer photos that contain text overlay that is distracting or irrelevant|
Users can report images that violate Shopping review and image policies.
To report an image:
- Click the flag icon to open the abuse reporting menu.
- Select the type of abuse that applies to the content you have viewed.
- Click the submit button to report the abuse.