One or more of your products has a long title or description.
You can submit titles with up to 150 characters, but because we only display up to 70 characters on Shopping ads and free product listings, we strongly encourage you to submit titles with 70 or less characters whenever possible.
We recommend putting distinctive product attributes at the beginning of the title. For example, "Nexus 7 tablet in black with 32GB of storage" becomes "Nexus 7 tablet, 32GB, black". The product information to put in your title also depends on the product category. Technical specifications are important for electronics whereas brand, color, and fabric are more important for apparel items. This helps the user to understand what this product is even if the title is truncated
You can submit descriptions with up to 5,000 characters, but because we only display a limited number of characters for product descriptions in Shopping ads and free listings, we recommend that you submit around 500 to 1,000 characters and list the most important details, such as size, material, intended age range, or special features in the first 160-500 characters. Descriptions should follow standard grammar rules and end with a punctuation mark.
It is important to use titles and descriptions that contain relevant product information so that a shopper can get an idea of what the advertised product is and what differentiates it from other products, even in a short amount of text.
To resolve this issue, adjust the length of the titles or descriptions for the affected products.
Step 1: See the affected products
- Sign in to your Merchant Center account.
- Select Products on the navigation menu, then click Diagnostics.
- Click the Item issues tab to see current issues affecting your products.
To download a list (.csv) of all affected products for all issues:
- Click the download button next to the filter button , beneath the graph and above the list of issues.
To download a list (.csv) of all affected products for a particular issue:
- Find the issue under the “Issue” column, then click the download button at the end of the row.
To see a list of up to 50 products with this particular issue:
- Find the issue under the “Issue” column, then click View samples in the “Affected items” column.
Step 2: Update the lengths of the titles or descriptions of your products
- Filter the downloaded report so that you only see products with:
"Issue title" = Value truncated (too long).
- Search your product data for those products and update their titles or descriptions to fit within the recommended parameters.
Step 3: Resubmit your product data
- After you’ve updated your product data, resubmit it using one of these methods:
- Next, check that you’ve fixed the issue by making sure it’s no longer listed on the Diagnostics page.
Keep in mind: It may take some time for your change to be reflected on the Diagnostics page.