Pricing and payments
Shopping Actions requires merchants to provide users with clear and conspicuous pricing information.
The following guidelines apply:
- For products sold in bulk quantities, total price for the minimum number of items sold must be submitted.
- Any pricing information contained must comply with local regulations. It is the merchant’s responsibility and also in his best interest to comply with such local requirements while participating in the Shopping Actions program.
- Items with variable prices, such as in auctions, should not be submitted. All products must be sold at fixed prices.
Titles and descriptions
Shopping Actions doesn't allow product listings with titles or descriptions that use excessive or gimmicky capitalization. These guidelines also apply to promotional messages. The only exceptions are the following standard variations:
- Capitalized trademarks, like "iGoogle" or "MyBrand"
- Capitalized company or product names, like "ProFlowers" and "PureVision"
- Commonly inter capitalized words, like "AdWords"
- Capitalizing the first letters of words, like "We Have What You Want"
- Capitalizing the first letter of a word after the first slash, like "www.example.com/Free"
- Acronyms and initials (like "ADHD" and "UNICEF"), phone numbers (like "1-800-CALLNOW"), or country and currency abbreviations (like "UK" or "USD")
Shopping Actions doesn't allow product listings that uses gimmicky or unnecessary punctuation or symbols in title or description, including promotional messages, like the following:
- Exclamation mark in the product listing title
- More than one exclamation mark in the product listing text
- Repeated punctuation or symbols
- Symbols, numbers, and letters that don't adhere to their true meaning
Shopping Actions doesn't allow text that uses gimmicky repetition of words or phrases. For example, we don't allow products that say “book bestseller, bestselling book".
Shopping Actions doesn't allow text that contains inappropriate spacing between words or punctuation, like the following:
- Extra spaces that make the text difficult to read
- Extra spaces between letters when used in a gimmicky fashion, like "G r e e n R u n n e r s"
- Missing spaces between words or punctuation, like "TheEnd" or "GreenRunners"
Below are the exceptions that are allowed on Shopping Actions:
- Trademarked spacing, like "VAIO®"
- Extra spacing around punctuation, like "shoes , bags , hats"
- Missing or extra spacing around mathematical symbols, currency, and abbreviated metric units, like "hat+scarf," "$15.00," and "4cm"
- URL name used in ad text without spaces, like "www.websitename.com"
Grammar and spelling
Shopping Actions doesn't allow product listings with incorrect grammar or misspellings in title or description. These guidelines also apply to promotional messages.
- Wrong words
- Wrong verb tense
- Incorrect subject-verb agreement
We do allow certain exceptions, for example:
- Common misspellings that the majority of users would understand (like "nite" instead of "night")
- Abbreviations that the majority of users would understand (like "info" instead of "information")
- Commonly used informal words or phrases (like "lovin it" instead of "loving it") Misspellings used as puns (like "grate savings on kitchen utensils")
Consumer traffic solicitation
Shopping Actions doesn’t allow product listing descriptions that redirect users to another website to complete their transaction or which otherwise suggest users navigate away from Shopping Actions for additional product information.
Relevance, clarity and accuracy
Product listings must be relevant, clear, accurate, and descriptive of the products offered.
- Product listings shouldn't include additional details about free shipping, billing information, promotions, stock information or your store's policies.
- Product listings shouldn’t contain any promotional text, boilerplate text or simulate email inbox notifications.
- Product listings can't use call-to-action phrases such as "click here" or "click +1" that could apply to any product listing, regardless of content.
Tax (US only)
Shopping Actions requires that prices of items submitted in the data feed do not include any value added tax. Instead, the tax information should be submitted either at the account level or under the 'tax' attribute.
Note that sales tax must be calculated based on the store’s address, as that’s where the customer takes title of the item. Merchants are responsible for calculating and informing Google of the accurate sales tax amount, which Google will collect per the merchant’s instructions. Regardless of the tax amount calculated by the merchant or collected by Google, the merchant is solely responsible for ensuring the appropriate tax amount is remitted to the Board of Equalization or other applicable tax agency.
Shopping Actions doesn't allow product listings with images containing promotional messages, including watermarks or promotional text. Image links pointing to logos or other generic images are also not allowed.
Shopping Actions doesn’t allow the promotion of product listings providing incorrect product availability information to users. Learn more about availability
Your merchant content should be truthful, accurate, and up-to-date every time shown to users.
Merchant claims include but are not limited to: competitive claims, superlatives, offers, discounts, and pricing. This policy also covers unverified offers and claims that are either scientifically impossible, or otherwise misleading to users.
- All merchant claims must be factually supportable.
- Any pricing information must comply with local regulations concerning inclusion of tax and other applicable charges.