Auto-tagging is a feature that can help you do the following:
- Track conversions from your free product listings and free local product listings on your website on all browsers separately from other conversion types. Currently, this is only enabled for listings on the Shopping tab.
- Split out performance in a third-party web analytics tool, such as Google Analytics, between your free listings and free local listings from overall Google organic traffic.
This article explains how auto-tagging works and how to enable it.
Why use it
Auto-tagging is a feature, which when used with a third-party web analytics tool, allows you to see how effectively your free listings and free local listings lead to valuable customer activity such as purchases.
How it works
After someone clicks your free product listing and free local product listing, auto-tagging adds a bit of additional information—a parameter called result id —to the URLs people click through. For example, if someone clicks on your free listing for www.example.com, the final URL will look like www.example.com/?srsltid=123xyz.
The result id is created at the time of an impression. If a user clicks the same free listing or free local listing again, the same result id will be used.
A small percentage of websites don't allow arbitrary URL parameters and serve an error page when auto-tagging is turned on. Check with your web developer to see if this applies to you, or turn on auto-tagging and do a test by clicking on your free listing. If the link to your site works, then you can use auto-tagging. If you get an error, you'll need to turn auto-tagging off from your Merchant Center account. Then, ask your web developer to allow arbitrary URL parameters before turning it back on.
Set up auto-tagging
Auto-tagging can be enabled at the Merchant Center account level by an admin. It won't be enabled by default. To turn it on, follow the steps below.
- Sign in to your Merchant Center account.
- In your Merchant Center account, click the tools icon and then click on Conversion settings under "Settings".
- Toggle the Auto-tagging button to be “ON”.