You can record video meetings with these Google Workspace editions:
- Business Plus
- Business Standard
- Education Plus. This is available to users with a 'Staff' or 'Student' licence
- Enterprise Essentials
- Enterprise Plus
- Enterprise Standard
- Enterprise Starter
- Google One subscribers with 2 TB or more of storage space
- Teaching and Learning Upgrade. This is available to users with a 'Teaching and Learning Upgrade' licence
- Workspace Individual subscriber
Learn who can record a meeting
To record a meeting, a Google Workspace administrator must turn on recording for your account.
You can record if:
- You're the meeting host.
- You're from outside the host's organisation and promoted to a co-host.
- You're from the host's organisation and Host Management is off.
- You're a teacher or co-teacher for meetings created through Google Classroom.
Google Workspace for Education accounts:
Learn what's recorded in a video meeting
Recordings include the active speaker and anything presented. You can also choose to record the meeting's captions. Recordings are saved to the organiser's Meet recordings folder in My Drive. An email with the recording link is sent to the meeting organiser and the person who started the recording. The link is added to the calendar event.
Other windows or notifications are not included in the recording. Pinning a participant won't affect who is shown in the recording.
These people are notified when a recording starts or stops but can't control the recording:
- People outside of your organisation
- Mobile app users
- People who dial in using a phone
Which part of a Meet chat is recorded?
Chats are recorded for the entire duration of the recorded video.
Where is a Meet chat saved?
Chats are saved as an .sbv file in the meeting organiser's Drive.
How do I play Meet chat recordings?
You can play Meet chat recordings on media players. When recordings play on a media player like VLC Media Player, chat contents display as subtitles.
How do I play recorded captions?
Captions automatically embed in the recorded clip that you receive.
- If you play the recording in Google Drive via the YouTube player, you can click the closed caption button to play captions with the recording.
- If you download the recording, you can play it and enable subtitles on apps like VLC Media Player or QuickTime Player.
When to record meetings
Recording meetings is useful when you want to review the meeting later or share it with people who couldn’t attend. For example:
- Team presentations available on demand for students and new employees
- Conference presentations that you want to share with people later
- Virtual training sessions that people can replay on demand
Learn how to start and stop a recording
- Start or join a meeting in Google Meet.
- At the bottom right, click activities Recording.
- To also record the meeting captions, select a language for the captions.
- In some cases, the recording file might be ready before the captions are available, if the recording is played on Google Drive. The captions may become playable a few hours after the recording file has been generated.
- Click Start recording.
- In the window that opens, click Start.
- Wait for the recording to start. Participants are notified when the recording starts or stops.
- To stop a recording, click activities Recording Stop recording.
- In the window that opens, click Stop recording.
- Tip: The recording stops automatically when participants leave the meeting.
The recording is saved to the meeting organiser's My Drive > Meet recordings folder. An email with the recording link is sent to the meeting organiser and the person who started the recording.
For meetings created through:
- Google Calendar: The meeting organiser is the user who creates the meeting event in Google Calendar.
- The Meet homepage or another product such as Gmail or Jamboard: The meeting organiser is the person who launches the meeting or generates the code.
Play, share, download or save a recording
In Google Drive
To share a recording:
- Select the file Share .
- Or, click Link paste the link in an email or chat message.
For best results, download the recording and then play it from your computer:
- Select the file and click More Download .
- Double-click the downloaded file to play it.
- In Drive, double-click the recording to play it. 'Still processing' appears until the file is ready for online viewing.
To add a recording to My drive, select the file and click Add to My drive .
From an email link
- In the email, click the link and wait for the recording to open.
- Select an option:
- To play the recording, click Play .
- To share the recording, click More Share. Enter usernames or email addresses and click Done.
To download the file, click Download
To add the recording to the current folder, click Add to My drive .
In the Google Calendar event
Make sure that your Google Drive has enough space
Google Meet recordings are uploaded to the organiser's Google Drive. Make sure that there's enough space on your Drive to record your meeting.
To record a meeting, make sure:
- You haven't reached your personal Drive quota.
- Your organisation hasn't reached its Drive quota.
If you have space in your Drive, but your organisation doesn't have space, you can't record the meeting.
Important: Once you reach your storage quota, you get an alert on Meet. We recommend that you keep track of your available storage space through Google Drive or Google storage page.
For Workspace editions with Admin capabilities: If you reach your storage quota, contact your Google Workspace administrator.