Search locations on Google Maps
You can search for all kinds of things, like post offices, photo booths, bus stops, or street names, using Google Maps.
You'll get better search results by signing in to Google Maps. When you sign in, you can quickly find places that you've searched for before and search for your contacts by name.
Search for a place
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app .
- At the top, tap the search box and type an address or name of a place. Or choose a category, like gas stations or groceries. To use voice search, tap Speak .
- Optional: After you find a place on the map, you can see directions to the place in a list, details about a place, or hear directions using voice-guided navigation.
Filter your results
Not all the filtering options are available for all languages and regions.
- On your Android phone or tablet, search for a type of business, restaurant, or place.
- Above your search results, tap More Filters.
- Select what you want to filter.
- Tap Apply.
Tips for searching
Here are some examples of searches on Google Maps:
- Specific businesses:
- Types of places:
coffee near central park.
- Narrow your results by using the city and state:
groceries in atlanta, ga.
- Narrow your results by using a zip code:
gas in 94131.
- Find an intersection:
23rd and mission.
- Address, city, state, country, or airport:
1600 amphitheater parkway mountain view ca,
Los Angeles Airport, or
Mount Everest, Nepal.
- Latitude and longitude coordinates:
- Friends and other contacts (you must be signed in):
- Other names of people in your G Suite Contacts.
Get more info about a place
To get more information about a place, do one of the following:
- Select a mini pin on the map.
- Drop a pin on the map.
- Search for a specific place.
You'll see information about the place like the address, hours of operation, phone number, website, and ratings or reviews.
Tip: With iPhone 6s and up, you can use 3D Touch to find a place's website, save a place, look up directions, and share a place. To turn on 3D Touch, go to the Settings app General Accessibility 3D Touch make sure the switch is on. Then, open Google Maps and hard press on a place.
See search suggestions for places
- Sign in to Google Maps.
- Open Google Maps or the Google Maps app .
- In the search box, start typing a search, like
- Personalized search results might appear under the search box. For example, your search results can include places you've searched for before. If you're signed in to your Google Account but you don't see personalized search results, make sure that Web & App Activity is turned on.
- Choose a place to see it on the map and get more information.
General places on the map
Local results appear for people who search for businesses and places near their location. They're shown in various places across Maps and Search.
For example, you’ll probably see local results if you search for "Italian restaurant" from your mobile device. Google will try to show you the kind of nearby restaurant that you’d like to visit.
Local results are influenced by a number of factors, primarily on relevance, distance, and prominence. These factors are combined to help find the best match for your search.
For example, Google algorithms might decide that a business that's farther away from your location is more likely to have what you're looking for than a business that's closer, and therefore rank it higher in local results.
Note: Results in Google Maps are not influenced by payment from other companies. Paid content in Google Maps is labeled.
Learn more about local search results in Google.
Places relevant to you
Some of the personalized searches that you see on Google Maps can only be seen by you. If you're on Google+, you may also see places recommended or shared by people in your circles.
Here are some examples of where this information may come from:Within Google Maps
Personalized places you see might come from:
- Your interactions with places on the map, including Google maps that you use on other sites
- Your recent searches, including searches for directions
- Places you've saved or starred on your computer, phone, or tablet
- Places rated or reviewed by you or people in your circles
- Your home and work addresses, if you set them on Google Maps or your feed
If you don't want to see search suggestions in Google Maps, turn off your Web & App Activity.
Personalized places you see might come from:
- Custom maps, if you have them in My Maps
- People and places you've added to your Google Contacts like
- Posts, reviews, or ratings from Google+ by you or visible to you that are tagged at a place
If you don't want to see search suggestions in Google Maps, update your preferences in the other Google products.