3 ways to move email from other accounts to Gmail
Switching to a new Gmail address? Want to check your email from other accounts in Gmail? Check out the options below to see which will work best for you.
|What kind of emails do you want to get?||What type of account do you want to import from?|
|Gmail||Another email provider|
|Old emails||Option 2||Option 1|
|New emails||Option 3||Option 3|
|Both old and new emails||Option 2||Option 2
Option 1 with Option 3
Note: Options 2 and 3 may not be be supported by your email provider.
Option 1: Import only old emails from other account
If you’re switching from another email provider to Gmail, this is an easy way to get all your old emails imported into Gmail.
- Open Gmail.
- In the top right, click Settings .
- Click Settings.
- Click the Accounts and Import or Accounts tab.
- Click Import mail and contacts.
- Follow the steps on the screen to import your old emails.
- Click Start import.
New emails are forwarded to your Gmail account for 30 days to give you time to tell your friends about your new address. If you want to keep getting new emails from your old account sent to Gmail, try using one of the options below.
Option 2: Import old emails and get new emails from other account
Use this option If you’re switching from a different Gmail address or if you want to bring both old and new emails into your Gmail. Gmail will first import your old messages and then continue to bring in new messages sent to your other account. You can add up to 5 accounts.
To use this option your other email provider has to offer POP3 access. Go ahead and try setting up your account, but if you get an error you may want to visit your other email provider’s help center to see if they support POP3. You can also try using one of the other options on this page.
Your contacts won’t be imported automatically with this method, but you can still import contacts separately.
Learn how to check email from your other account.
Note: If you use the Android Gmail app, you can check both old and new messages from other accounts by adding a supported account, then linking your account to use Gmail features when you read those messages.
Options 3: Forward new emails from other account
If you want to have new emails that are sent to your other address forwarded to Gmail, you can set up auto-forwarding. Keep in mind that not all email providers offer auto-forwarding.
- To forward emails from another Gmail address, learn how to set up automatic forwarding in Gmail. Keep in mind that you should set up forwarding in the account you want to forward from, not the account you want to forward to.
- To forward emails from another email provider, you’ll have to change your settings in the other account, not in Gmail. Visit your other email provider’s help center to find out if automatic forwarding is available and how to set it up.
Vivian is a Gmail expert and the author of this help page. Leave her feedback about this help page.