To communicate with a group of people or an organisation about a topic, project or shared interest, use a space. For example, you can create a space to discuss dogs or F1 racing.
With spaces, you can:
- Keep conversations with people in one place
- Organise groups around shared files, tasks and schedules
- Keep dedicated spaces for different conversations
Organise a space
Important: You can no longer create a space grouped by conversation topic. Instead, new spaces have in-line threading.
There are two types of spaces: spaces with in-line threading and spaces organised by conversation topic.
In a space with in-line threading, you can either send a message to the entire group in the main conversation window or reply to a single message. If you use in-line threading to reply to a single message, your message branches into a separate conversation. In-line threads can be helpful when you want to reply to a specific message but the topic of the main conversation changed or you want to have a side conversation that doesn't disrupt the flow of the main conversation.
Tip: Not all messages need to be part of an in-line thread.
In a space organised by the conversation topic, messages and replies are grouped together for everyone to view. All messages and replies must be a part of a topic and are shown directly in the main conversation window. When you reply to a previous topic, the entire topic moves to the bottom.
You can find some benefits and limitations of each kind of space organisation below.
Type of space
Organised by in-line threading
Tip: This is the default type of space.
|Organised by conversation topic||
For personal email accounts, Message history is on by default. If you have a Workspace account, the administrator sets the default message history.
Create a new space with in-line threading
- Open the Chat app or Gmail app .
- Tap Spaces .
- Tap New space Create a space.
- Enter a name for the space.
- To add a space avatar, tap Choose an emoji select an emoji. If you don't select an emoji, a default letter avatar is used instead.
- Enter an optional description for the space.
- Choose an access level for your organisation:
- Restricted: Only directly added and invited users have access to the space. To make your space discoverable, select 'All of your organisation'.
- All of your organisation: All members in your organisation have access to the space and can join if they have the space's link. Learn more about creating a discoverable space.
- Important: If you have a work or school account with Google, you may have additional target audience options created by your administrator. If you have questions about the audience options available, contact your administrator.
- To invite external people into the space, toggle Allow people outside of your organisation to join.
- Important: If you select 'All of your organisation' in step 5, you won't be able to allow people outside of your organisation to join the space.
- Tap Next.
- You can also:
- Enter the name or email of the people who you want to add.
- Enter the apps or Google Groups that you want to invite.
- Choose from the list of suggested contacts.
- Optional: You can tap Skip to add contacts or groups to your space at a later time.
- Tap Done.
- Open the Google Chat or Gmail app.
- Tap Spaces select a space.
- To reply, long press over the message to bring up the action menu and tap Reply in thread .
- Tip: If a thread already has replies, you can tap the message to open the thread panel.
- Once the thread panel opens, enter your message in the message window at the bottom.
- Tap Send .
Follow a thread
You automatically follow threads you start, reply to or are @mentioned in. To follow other threads or unfollow a thread:
- In the space, to open the thread panel, tap the message or the Replies to the thread that you want to follow or unfollow.
- At the top right of the thread panel, select an option:
- To follow a thread, tap Follow.
- To unfollow a thread, tap Following.
Interact with the thread navigation panel
How to see the activity within a space:
- To open the thread navigation panel, on the upper right side of the space, tap Active threads .
- With the thread navigation panel open, you can now see:
- The latest threads with new replies
- Number of replies for each thread
- Your following status for each thread
Threads are ordered by most recent activity in the thread navigation panel. To filter threads and the related replies:
On the upper left side of the thread navigation panel, select an option:
- To filter threads where you're directly mentioned in a message, tap 'Mentions me'.
- To filter threads that you started, replied to, were directly @mentioned in or selected to follow, tap 'Following'.