Google Play reviews apps for certain policy requirements, but developers can make changes to their apps at any time. It is important that parents review all information about an app before downloading to make sure that the app is appropriate for their children.
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Play Store .
- Tap Games, Movies and TV or Books.
- At the top, tap Family. In the Books section, select Children's Books instead.
- You’ll see content by age, family categories or popular characters, provided by the developers or content providers.
To prevent anyone who uses your device from downloading or purchasing mature content, set up parental controls.
What the star badge means
Apps and games that carry the star badge have applied for and been accepted to our developer Designed for Families programme. Developers of these apps and games have agreed to meet heightened requirements.
Because developers might make changes to their app or game, we always recommend that parents read the details on the app listing page and review the app after downloading for appropriateness.Apps & Games
On the star badge, you may see:
- Family-friendly: The developer has designed the app or game for both children and adults.
- Ages: If the developer has designed their app or game for a specific age group that age group will be listed.
Google Play assigns a star badge based on the movie or TV show's content rating.
On the badge, you may see:
- Ages: Specific age ranges based on the content rating, between 0 and 12 years old.
- All ages: The content rating will show that the movie or TV show is suitable for all ages.
Google Play assigns a star badge based on publisher-provided information like reading level.
Check apps for labels
Developers can choose to label their apps on the app listing page as 'Not designed for children' if the app was not designed with children in mind. These apps aren’t reviewed for certain policy requirements, so we recommend that you carefully evaluate these apps to determine whether they are appropriate for your family.
We do our best to make sure that family-friendly content meets Google Play’s heightened policy requirements.
If you find content that may be inappropriate for children and families, let us know.