With some apps, you can buy additional content or services within the app. We call these 'in-app purchases'. Examples include a powerful sword in a game, a key that unlocks more features of an app, or virtual currency used for purchases.
If your in-app purchase is not showing up, is not working or won’t download, you can:
- Troubleshoot the issue on your own.
- Contact the developer for support.
- Request a refund.
If you're trying to make an in-app purchase but the transaction is declined or the payment won't go through, try to fix payment issues on Google Play.
Troubleshoot the issue on your own
If these steps don't fix your issue, contact the developer. It's the developers' responsibility to offer support for their apps and to make sure that they work well for you.
Check your connectivity
Check that you have a Wi-Fi or mobile data connection which is active and working. A simple way to do this is by searching the web. Click on this link to search Google for puppies. If you see information on puppies, your Internet connection is probably not the issue.
If that search doesn’t work, connectivity might be a problem. Try to fix your connectivity issues.
Force stop, then reopen the app or game
- On your device, open the main Settings app .
- Tap Apps or Manage applications (depending on your device, this may be different).
- Tap the app you used to make your in-app purchase.
- Tap Force stop.
- Re-open the app you used to make your in-app purchase.
- Check if your item has been delivered.
Check if your payment is complete
Check payment with the Play Store app
- Open the Google Play Store app .
- At the top right, tap your Profile picture.
- Tap Payments and subscriptions Budget and history.
Check payment with a web browser
- On your computer, go to your Google Play account.
- At the top, click Order history.
- Find your in-app purchase.
Restart the device
Sometimes restarting the device can help fix in-app purchase issues. To restart:
- On your mobile device, hold down the power button.
- Tap Power off or Restart (depending on your device this text may be different).
- If needed, hold down the power button again to turn the device back on.
- Wait for the device to start back up.
- Re-open the app or game and check if the in-app purchase has been delivered.
Update the Play Store app
In-app purchases work best when you are running the latest version of the Play Store. To update the app:
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Play Store app .
- At the top right, tap the Profile picture.
- Tap Settings About Play Store version.
- The app updates or notifies you that your version is up to date.
Make sure that date and time are correct
If you have recently changed the date and time on your device, make sure that the date and time are correct:
- On your Android phone or tablet, open your device's Settings app .
- Tap Date & time.
- Look for "Automatic date & time" and "Automatic time zone" and check if they’re switched on or off. Then follow the relevant steps below.
If 'Automatic date & time' and 'Automatic time zone' are turned off
- Turn on both the date & time and time zone settings.
- Wait a few minutes, then check to see if your problem is fixed.
- If it’s not, try restarting your device and check again.
If 'Automatic date & time' and 'Automatic time zone' are switched on
- If both of these settings are on, the date and time probably isn’t your issue. Check your connectivity and restart your device, or try the other troubleshooting steps.
If the app developer hasn't made the app available in your Google Play country, you can't make in-app purchases. If you move to a new country, you can change your Google Play country.
Contact the app's developer for support
If you're still having issues with an in-app purchase and want to give feedback or get help, you can contact the app's developer.
The app developer is the best place to:
- Get help to fix an issue with an app or game.
- Learn more about using an app.
- Get an in-app purchase added to your account.
- Ask about an in-app purchase that wasn’t delivered.
- Get help with username and password sign-in problems for specific apps.
Request a refund
Depending on the details of your purchase and issue, you may be able to get a refund. Find more information on returns and refunds on Google Play.