Important things to know before you remove a product
Select your product below for specific details about what happens when you remove it from your account and disconnect it from the app. There are some key differences between products.
After it’s removed from your account, your Nest Protect can still sound an alarm if it detects specified levels of smoke or carbon monoxide. However, some features will be limited:
- You’ll no longer be able to view the last reported status of the Nest Protect in the Nest app.
- You won’t be able to change settings.
- You won’t get push notifications from the Nest Protect.
Nest camera and Nest Hello
Before removing your camera, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
- Important: Do not unplug your camera until the light ring is pulsing blue after the removal is complete. If you unplug your camera before that, you will need to reset it to get it working again. Take a look at the article below.
- If you remove a camera from your account in the Nest app, it will permanently delete all of that camera’s recorded video history.
- As long as your account has one Nest camera or Hello added to it, all your saved video clips will be viewable on home.nest.com.
- If you’ve been invited to share control of a Nest home, you’ll be able to remove cameras from the home, but only the Owner of a Nest home can cancel a Nest Aware subscription.
- If you want to cancel the Nest Aware subscription for your camera, you can do it with the Nest app. You’ll be able to cancel the subscription even if you’ve already removed your camera from your account. For detailed instructions on cancelling Nest Aware subscriptions, take a look at the article below.
Nest x Yale Lock
After it’s removed from your account in the Nest app, your Nest × Yale lock will still be able to lock and unlock your door, but only using passcodes previously set up with your account. You can also use the thumb turn inside your home.
Important: If you remove the Nest × Yale lock from your account in the Nest app, you will need to do a factory reset in order to change settings on the lock itself, which will clear all of your previously set passcodes. You will then need to create passcodes using the lock’s keypad.
After it’s removed from your account, your Nest × Yale lock can’t:
- Create or change passcodes with the Nest app
- Remotely lock and unlock your door with the Nest app
- View the last reported lock or unlock status
- Receive notifications, such as low battery, deadbolt extension and retraction issues, and tamper warnings
- Adjust some settings to enable or disable features, like setting a time to Auto-Lock
Remove a product from your account
Important: If you plan to remove a Nest Protect, Nest camera or Nest x Yale lock, read the specific details above before removal. If you’re removing a camera, don’t unplug it until you’ve removed it from the Nest app.
Note: Google Nest Hub Max needs to be removed using the Google Home app. Refer to Google Nest Hub Max below for instructions.
- Sign in to the Nest app.
- If you have another home, on the app home screen, tap Menu at the top-left corner. Then select the home that has the product you’d like to remove.
- On the app home screen, tap Settings .
- Tap the product that you’d like to remove (for Guard, Detect and Tag, tap Security, then the product you’d like to remove).
- Scroll down and select Remove [product name].
- You’ll then be asked to confirm your choice.
- If you’re not going to use your Nest product again, make sure that you perform a factory reset. Select your Nest product below for reset details.
Remove Google Nest Hub Max
After it’s removed from your account, your Nest Hub Max will no longer recognise voice commands, play media, show reminders/ calendar events or use the built-in Nest Cam. All Nest Cam footage in your history will be deleted. Saved clips will not be deleted. In order to use the device, you’ll need to set it up again.
To remove a Nest Hub Max device from your account:
- Open the Google Home app .
- Tap your Nest Hub Max Settings .
- Scroll down to the bottom, then tap Remove device Remove.
Disable and remove a Nest Tag
If a Tag is lost, you can remove it from your account by following the instructions above to make sure that no one else can use it to disarm Nest Secure.
Tags can also be temporarily disabled, or reassigned to someone else who also shares access to your Nest home.
For more details and complete instructions, take a look at the following article:
If you've removed Nest Guard before Tags
- On the app home screen, tap Settings .
- Select Family and guests.
- If you want to view or remove a person's Tag, tap the person and then tap on their Tag.
Remove a Works with Nest product
Works with Nest products don’t appear in the Nest app; you typically need to control them with their own app. However, you can disable the connection to the Nest app. Take a look at the following article for detailed instructions.