The Google Nest Learning Thermostat is paired with the Heat Link right out of the box. If you have a Google Nest Thermostat E, scan the Heat Link’s QR code and follow the on-screen instructions to pair it. If your Nest thermostat display or Heat Link has been replaced, you can pair it again.
Pairing during installation
Heat Link installation and pairing will be different depending on which Nest thermostat you have.
Nest Thermostat E installation
The Nest Thermostat E’s Heat Link will normally be installed in the same spot as your old thermostat. The app will instruct you how to install the Heat Link with your current thermostat wiring.
During installation, the app will guide you to scan the QR code on both the Nest Thermostat E and the Heat Link. Follow the instructions in the app to pair them.
Nest Learning Thermostat installation
Use a qualified professional
A Nest Pro installer should perform the installation for you, and we have a list of highly qualified installers to help you out. These professionals have been trained to install the Nest thermostat, and can advise you on the best location to install your thermostat so you can get the most out of it.
Note: Nest Pros are a network of independent companies or contractors and are not employed by Nest.
The Nest Learning Thermostat and Heat Link are already paired and ready to be installed right out of the box, so there’s no need to worry about pairing. During the initial installation and setup, the Nest thermostat automatically checks its wireless connection to Heat Link. It will also check the cable connection if you connected your old thermostat cables to the Nest thermostat base.
Pair a replacement display or Heat Link
Nest Thermostat E
Pair a replacement Heat Link E
- Remove the cover off your old Heat Link and take a picture of the wiring.
- Uninstall your old Heat Link and remove your old Heat Link from the app.
- Remove your new Heat Link's cover so that you can check the QR code on top of the battery compartment.
- In the app, go to Settings Add product.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to scan the QR code, add your new Heat Link to the app, and install the new Heat Link on the wall.
Pair a replacement Nest Thermostat E display
If your Nest Thermostat E display has been replaced with a new one, it will need to be connected to the app.
- Remove your old Nest Thermostat E display from the app.
- Go to Settings Add product and follow the on-screen instructions to set it up.
Nest Learning Thermostat
Pair a replacement Heat Link
You may get an H71 error code on your thermostat if your Heat Link can’t connect to your thermostat. If you needed to get a replacement Heat Link from Google Support, follow the instructions below to install and pair your new Heat Link to your thermostat.
- It’s recommended that you have a professional installer install your Heat Link, but you can download the installation guide for detailed instructions. Once installed correctly, you can address the error code.
- On the H71 error code screen on your thermostat, select Replace Heat Link.
- Wait until the light on the Heat Link is blinking blue then select Continue.
- Enter the pairing code and tap Connect. Check the bottom of Heat Link for the 6-character code.
- Once paired, if your thermostat is showing an error code, visit our article about thermostat error codes for further troubleshooting.
Pair a replacement Nest learning Thermostat display
If your Nest Learning Thermostat display has been replaced with a new one, it will need to be connected to the app.
- Remove your old Nest Learning Thermostat display from the app.
- Go to Settings Add product and follow the instructions to add it to the app.
- When prompted, enter the pairing code from the Heat Link in the thermostat display.
Pair a Heat Link that’s been reset to factory defaults
Some troubleshooting steps may require you to reset the Heat Link to factory defaults. Depending on which Nest thermostat you have, it may automatically reconnect or you may need to add it back to the app. Select your thermostat below for more information.
Nest Thermostat E
After you reset the Heat Link E to defaults, you'll need to add your Heat Link back to the app. Follow the instructions in How to reset Heat Link to factory defaults.
Nest Learning Thermostat
Normally, Heat Link should automatically reconnect to your Nest thermostat after you reset it to factory defaults. Wait a few moments and then check your thermostat to confirm.
- If your thermostat asks for a pairing code, check the bottom of Heat Link for the 6-character code.
- If your thermostat is showing an error code, visit our article about thermostat error codes for further troubleshooting.
Troubleshoot connection problems
If the Nest thermostat shows you a message that says Heat Link isn’t connected, or if Heat Link’s light is solid yellow or blinking yellow, please refer to the following article: