Learn about cellular backup for Nest Secure
Cellular backup subscriptions purchased directly from Nest will be supported through August 30, 2020. After August 19, 2019, you will only be able to purchase cellular backup through one of our partners as part of a bundled service plan.
Customers who purchased cellular backup directly from Nest can continue using cellular backup service for free until August 30, 2020 after they complete payment migration to Google Pay. This offer is only available to customers who purchased cellular backup directly from Nest.
Note: Customers who have migrated their Nest Account to a Google account can complete payment migration at the Google Store.
If you have a cellular backup subscription and no Nest Aware subscription
- You will need to migrate your Nest Account to a Google Account.
- After you migrate to a Google Account, we’ll automatically refund the rest of your paid cellular backup subscription, and you’ll continue to receive the free service through August 30, 2020.
If you have both cellular backup and Nest Aware subscriptions
You will continue to be billed for your cellular backup and Nest Aware subscriptions as usual until:
- You migrate your Nest Account to a Google Account.
- You add a new Nest Aware subscription to a camera and switch your payment method to GPay (you will be required to do this when you checkout).
- Once you’re on the GPay system, you’ll get a refund for the rest of your paid cellular backup subscription, and you’ll continue to receive the free service through August 30, 2020.
If you choose not to migrate to a Google Account
- Nest will continue to bill you at your current rate until August 30, 2020. At that time, Nest will also give you a prorated refund for any amount you prepaid beyond this date.
Normally, Google Nest Guard uses Wi-Fi to connect to the Nest Service in the cloud so you can get
alerts and manage security settings on your phone no matter where you are.
If your home Wi-Fi goes down, Nest Guard and Google Nest Detect can still sense activity and sound
alarms. But they’ll appear as Offline in the Nest app and you won’t be able to manage their
settings or receive alerts on your phone.
A cellular backup subscription is one way to make Nest Guard and Nest Detect even more
reliable. It can help Nest Guard stay connected to your phone when:
- Your home’s Wi-Fi network temporarily stops working
- Your home’s internet service is interrupted
- Your home loses power, which usually means it loses Wi-Fi and internet too