Depending on where you purchased it, your Google Nest Protect will come with one or more languages installed. These are the languages that Nest Protect speaks during setup, Heads-Up alerts, and Emergency Alarms. You can change the language your Nest Protect speaks with the Nest app.
Languages available after installation
Note: Your Nest Protect needs to be added to the Nest app and connected to your Wi-Fi network to download the new language and update it.
- English (UK)
- French (CA)
- Spanish (US)
How to change the language your Nest Protect speaks
- Tap the Settings icon.
- Scroll down and tap to select the Protect for which you want to change the language.
Tap Spoken language.
Note: You might have to wait up to 24 hours for your Protect to check in with the Nest Service before you see the option to change the language.
- Select the language that you'd like to use.
- Nest Protect will automatically download and change the language spoken within 24 hours.
Troubleshoot if your Nest Protect language doesn't change
Here are some steps to take if your Nest Protect doesn’t update its spoken language:
Make sure your Protect shows up in the Nest app before you try to change the language. If your Protect is stuck in another language, add it to the Nest app anyway. You just need to scan the QR code on the back.
Once your Nest Protect is added to your Nest app, try the directions above to change the language. You might have to wait up to 24 hours for your Protect to check in with the Nest Service before you see the option to change the language. Once the option shows up in the Nest app, you should be able to change the language following the directions above.
- Your Nest Protect needs to be connected to your Wi-Fi network to download the new language and update it. Check that your Nest Protect does not say offline in the Nest app. If it does, try troubleshooting your Nest Protect’s connection or move it closer to your Wi-Fi router.
- Remove your Nest Protect and reset it to defaults. Remove your Nest Protect from your account in the app, then reset your Nest Protect to factory defaults and add your Nest Protect to your account again. Then try changing the language again.