How to move Nest Secure to a new room or home
Move Guard to another place in your home
If you just want to move your Google Nest Guard to a new location in the same home, follow these steps.
- Set Guard’s security level to Off . Otherwise, the next steps will cause your security alarm to sound.
- Unplug Guard.
Move Guard to the new spot in your home and plug it into a power outlet.
Note: Guard’s battery backup should keep it connected to Wi-Fi while it’s unplugged. If Guard did lose its Wi-Fi connection, it will automatically try to connect to the same network. Until then, it will appear in the Nest app with a message saying Offline. As soon as it has connected, the Offline message will go away.
- Check the Nest app to make sure none of your Google Nest Detects appear as Offline. If any of them do, they may have lost their connection with Guard when you moved it to its new location. See our troubleshooting tips for when a Detects goes offline.
- After confirming all your Detects are online, you can update Guard’s location with the Nest app. This option is in your Guard’s Settings Placement.
Move a Detect to another place in your home
You can move any of your Detects from one location to another in your home. You don’t need to remove Detects from your account in the Nest app in order to do this.
Important: If you move a Detect from one type of installation to another (for instance, from a door to a window or wall, or to a different type of door than before) you must update the placement information in the Nest app so your Detect’s sensors will look for the right things. Read on to learn how.
- Set Guard’s security level to Off . Otherwise, the next step will cause your security alarm to sound.
Remove your Detect from the door, window, or wall it’s attached to.
- If it’s attached with adhesive, keep in mind that the bond is very strong. Use caution and be prepared to touch up any painted surfaces where your Detect was. Once you’ve taken down your Detect, you should remove the old adhesive from the backplate. The adhesive is not re-usable, but additional adhesive strips are provided in the original box your product came in.
- If it’s attached with a screw, simply pop Detect out of its backplate and unscrew the backplate from the surface it’s mounted on.
- If your Detect was installed on a door or window, don’t forget to remove the open-close magnet too. The open-close magnet is the smaller piece that’s attached to the moving part of the door or window. Once you’ve taken it down, remove the old adhesive.
- Now you can install your Detect in its new location. For information about how to mount it on the new surface, refer to the installation instructions for Nest Detect. Just follow the steps in the section about mounting it on the surface. You don’t need to add it to your account again – it’s already there.
Once you’ve settled on a new location and installed your Detect there, you’ll need to update its placement information in the Nest app.
1. On the Nest app home screen, select the Detect you moved.
2. Tap Settings Placement Where.
3. The Nest app will ask if you’re moving Detect to a new location or just updating its label. Tap Moving.
4. The app will guide you through the steps to update the placement information for your Detect.
Transfer tag to another person
You can assign and re-assign Google Nest Tags to people with the Nest app. For details and instructions, see the following article:
Move Secure to a new home
You don’t need to remove anything from your account in the Nest app or cancel any subscriptions you have. The one exception is if you’re moving to a different country; if that’s the case, you’ll need to cancel your professional monitoring and cellular backup subscription.
In your current home
- Set the security level to Off with Guard or the app. If you don’t, the alarm will sound in the next step.
- Unplug Guard from the wall.
- Remove the power cord from the back of Guard by pulling straight down (not out). Guard is designed in a way that removing the power cord will prevent it from accidentally arming itself if something bumps one of the buttons while in transit.
- Uninstall all your Detects and open/close magnets from the doors, windows, or walls.
- If a Detect is attached with adhesive, keep in mind that the bond is very strong. Use caution and be prepared to touch up any painted surfaces where your Detect was. Once you’ve taken down your Detect, you should remove the old adhesive from the backplate. The adhesive is not reusable, but additional adhesive strips are provided in the original box your product came in.
- If a Detect is attached with a screw, simply pop Detect out of its backplate and unscrew the backplate from the surface it’s mounted on.
If you’re moving to a different country, cancel your cellular backup subscription.
Important: If you’re moving to a different country, you will have to cancel your professional monitoring and cellular backup subscription. If your new home is in the same country, you can probably continue using your existing subscription. But if there’s no cellular coverage in your new home, you’ll get a notification in the Nest app that Guard can’t connect to cellular. You should cancel your subscription in this case.
- Gather all your Tags and take them with you. Remember to collect them from anybody who won’t be moving with you, like the babysitter or the dog walker.
Now you’re ready to take everything to your new home.
In your new home
- Get your Wi-Fi network and internet connection set up first. Use a laptop or other device to confirm it’s working.
- Plug in Guard.
If your new home still has the same internet provider, Wi-Fi router, and Wi-Fi network name as your old home you can skip this step.
But if you changed your router or the name of your Wi-Fi network, you’ll need to update Guard’s Wi-Fi connection. See the following article to learn how:
- If you’re setting up Guard in a different room than before, update its room name with the Nest app. This option is in your Guard’s Settings Placement.
- Now you can install your Detects in your new home. Refer to the installation instructions for Nest Detect. Just follow the steps in the section about mounting your Detects. You don’t need to add them your account again – they’re already there.
Now you’ll need to update the placement information for each Detect in the Nest app.
1. On the Nest app home screen, select one of your Detects.
2. Tap Settings Check setup.
3. The app will guide you through the steps to update the location of your Detect. Repeat for each Detect in your account.
Update the address of your Nest home in the Nest app:
1. On the Nest app home screen, tap Settings .
2. Tap Home info then Address.
3. Enter your new address.
You can use the Tags you brought with you. You don’t need to do anything else to start using them again.
Note: You might want to remove access for anyone who isn’t coming with you to your new home, like the babysitter or the dog walker. See our information about sharing access to your home with Family Accounts.