You may need to restart Google Nest Guard if there’s an issue with its Wi-Fi connection or if it’s unresponsive. Resetting it to factory settings generally shouldn’t be done unless you’ve already removed Guard from account in the Nest app.
How to restart Nest Guard
- Set the Google Nest Secure to Off with the app or on Nest Guard, or the alarm may sound.
- Press and hold the 5 button on Guard’s keypad until its light ring starts spinning blue (about 10 seconds).
- After a few seconds the light ring will turn off.
- Guard will restart and say, “Hi, from Nest.” After the restart, Nest Secure will arm to the same level it was set to before restarting. If it was sounding the alarm, it will resume sounding the alarm. You will need to silence it by using the Nest app, entering your passcode, or using Google Nest Tag.
How to reset Nest Guard to factory settings
Resetting to factory settings should only be used in rare cases, such as if you’re returning Nest Secure. Resetting Nest Guard will make all of your Google Nest Detects appear as offline in the Nest app. To continue using Nest Secure you will have to go through the setup process again.
Note: As a security precaution, a factory reset can’t be done if Nest Guard is armed in Home and Guarding or Away and Guarding, speaking a Heads-Up, sounding the alarm, or if the battery is critically low.
- Remove Nest Secure from your account in the Nest app.
- Set Nest Secure to Off with Nest Guard’s keypad, or the alarm may sound.
- Press and hold down the 2 button on Guard’s keypad.
- Keep holding down the button while Guard goes through a software version and check.
- When Guard says, “Release to erase all settings,” let go of the button.
- Guard will speak again and say, “Erasing all settings and returning to factory defaults in five seconds. Press any button to cancel.”
- You’ll see the light ring turn yellow and begin a five second countdown. Press any button before the countdown ends to cancel the reset.
- If you don’t cancel, the light ring will spin blue and Guard will say, “Erasing all settings. This might take a minute."
- When it’s about to restart you’ll hear, "Nest Guard is restarting. Be right back."
If you want to continue using Nest Guard, follow the setup instructions in the User’s Guide to add it back to your account in the Nest app and place it in your home.