Here are some things you can do to help keep your Nest camera or doorbell secure, and some tips if something happens to your camera or if it's stolen.
Use your camera as a deterrent
Secure the power cable
- Run your camera’s power cable behind furniture or shelving so that it’s harder to spot and unplug.
- Install cable clips to help keep the power cord attached to the wall. Check your local hardware store for availability.
Google Nest Cam IQ Outdoor
|This camera has a locking base that can completely conceal the power cord. Drill a 1/2-inch hole in your wall, run the cable through it, and plug it into an indoor outlet. Be sure to identify any in-wall pipes or wiring before drilling the hole or find a local pro to install it for you.|
If you need to run the power cable along your exterior wall be sure to use the included cable clips to secure it.
Google Nest Cam Outdoor
- This camera’s cable is permanently attached to the camera.
- Use the included clips and screws to fasten the cable to a wall or surface.
- Use a clip near the camera to prevent someone from yanking on the cable to dislodge the camera.
- Run the cable along an edge, eave or other hidden area.
- Paint the power cable and clips to match your home.
Note: Don’t paint or cover the camera. This can affect it’s sensors and performance, and may void the warranty.
- If your Nest Cam Outdoor is plugged into an outdoor outlet, install a lockable “while-in-use” or "water and dust" cover that will help prevent it from being unplugged.
- Run the flat USB cable through a doorway and plug it into an indoor outlet. Keep the cable out of reach by routing it through the top of the door.
- Drill a ⅞” hole through the wall and run the cable through it to plug it into an indoor outlet. Be sure to identify any in-wall pipes or wiring before drilling the hole or find a local pro to install it for you.
Save your video history in the cloud
The Home app and the Nest app let you watch a live video stream from your camera. If you get a Nest Aware subscription, you get additional intelligent alerts such as Familiar Faces, and you’ll also be able to review your video history.
Most Nest camera’s video footage is stored securely in your account in the app. Even if your camera is stolen, thieves won’t be able to view or tamper with your footage.
Note: The Nest Cam (battery) and Nest Doorbell (battery) includes up to one hour recorded video for on device storage that is only used as a backup if the camera can’t upload video to the cloud (for instance, if it can’t connect to Wi-Fi).
Use 2-step verification security
Your account is password-protected. To help prevent someone from signing in and making changes without your permission, never share your password with anybody else.
You can add an extra layer of security by signing into the app with 2-step verification. To learn more about 2-step verification and set it up on your account, see:
Nest app only: If you want to let someone else watch live video from your Nest camera but not give them access to your Nest home, you can share just the video stream through a password-protected link.
What to do if your camera gets damaged or stolen
- Review alerts and video footage to see what happened
- Your Nest camera can send an activity alert if it spots the vandal or thief, and you can also get a notification if it’s destroyed or taken out of range of your Wi-Fi network and goes offline. The email includes a snapshot of the last thing your camera saw.
- For cameras with a Nest Aware subscription, review your video history to see exactly what happened. Watching someone break into your home can be jarring. But it can help you understand how it happened and what steps you can take to prevent another incident.
How to watch your video history
- You may also want to share the footage with law enforcement. You can do this by creating a video clip of the incident.
How to create a video clip
- If your camera was only moved or unplugged, you may want to find a new spot for it.
Theft replacement program
If your Nest camera or doorbell is stolen, you may qualify for a free replacement. Please go to the following article to learn more.