Google Nest or Home speakers and displays can announce when someone rings your Google Nest doorbell, or other compatible doorbell. With a smart display, Chromecast or Android TV, you may also be able to see who’s there.
You’ll need to install your products and add them to their respective apps before you set up visitor announcements.
Note: Visitor announcements may not be available on all 3rd party doorbells that work with Google. To find out if they're available on your doorbell, check with your doorbell manufacturer.
- Set up your speaker or display.
- Install your doorbell according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Follow these instructions for Nest doorbells:
- Add your doorbell to the Google Home app.
- Make sure your doorbell is in the same home as your speaker or display. If it’s not, you won’t get visitor announcements.
- If you have a Nest doorbell, it may have been added to the Home app when you installed it.
Turn on personal results for your speaker or display. Note: If you have a display, select Always show proactively.
2. Turn visitor announcements on or off
Nest doorbell (battery) and other compatible doorbells
- Open the Home app .
- Tap your doorbell icon.
- In the top right, tap Settings Doorbell.
- Turn Visitor announcements on or off.
Note: You can also use Do Not Disturb to temporarily turn off visitor announcements for your Google speaker or display.
Nest doorbell (wired)
To turn visitor announcements on:
- Open the Nest app .
- Tap on your Nest doorbell.
- Tap Settings Visitor announcements. This will take you to the Google Home app.
- When asked, follow the onscreen prompts in the Google Home app to complete setup.